INSIGHT First Responder
INSIGHT First Responder – Reasoning Skills and Mindset measures decision-making skills and thinking mindset that enable and motivate emergency personnel to carry out their duties effectively and safely. The INSIGHT First Responder is the instrument of choice for evaluating candidates for law enforcement, fire and safety protective services, security personnel, 911 operators, airline stewards, teachers, and EMTs, and other employees, regardless of job title, who may reasonably be expected to become first responders in case of an emergency. It is used by governmental and business organizations that employ people who are hired and trained to be first responders in the event of an emergency or security breach; and by staff recruiters, HR departments, and consultants for applicant and candidate screening, and for individual talent development and team-focused professional development purposes.
Population: INSIGHT First Responder is calibrated for staff and managerial personnel who are, or who may be expected to become, first responders in the event of an emergency or security breach.
Administration: Administer at any time, in any location with our user-friendly, encrypted, online, multi-lingual interface.
Support Materials: INSIGHT User Manual: Includes all needed information for the administration and interpretation of individual and group scores. A separate INSIGHT First Responder Debrief Document, which client may elect to provide to the persons who are assessed, is available at no additional charge.
Specs: Max 85 minutes timed administration.
- 30 minutes allotted for 90 Agree-Disagree survey style first responder mindset attribute belief, value, and expectation statements.
- 55 minutes allotted for 36 engaging, first responder scenario-based reasoning skill demonstration questions.
Deliverables: Individual score reports of all metrics for each person assessed. Optional group graphics with statistical summary of scores; Excel spreadsheet of responses of all custom questions, and all scores for each person assessed. Optional INSIGHT First Responder debriefing document.
Results Reported (Actionable Metrics):
- Nine Vital First Responder Mindset Attributes. The effective first responder is:
- Calm Under Pressure – Displays confidence, focus, and strength even if events are chaotic
- Agentic – Takes responsibility for timely actions to address problems
- Inventive – Resourceful, creative, driven to respond to emergent events by any means necessary
- Foresightful – Alert to potential difficulties and effort to foresee consequences
- Organized – Takes a systematic, orderly, and persistent approach to problem solving
- Team-Oriented – Striving to do whatever is needed for the success of the team and its mission
- Unbiased – Comes to the aid of people different than themselves without hesitation
- Accurate – Endeavors to describe events exactly as they are perceived
- Courageous – Bravely gives aid, willing to risk personal harm to serve and to protect
- OVERALL Reasoning Skills – The integration of the reasoning skills needed to address problems and to make decisions
- Five Essential First Responder Reasoning Skills and an OVERALL rating:
- Analyzing Situations – Examines a problem and identifies salient facts, issues, and concerns
- Determining Impacts – Infers the precise consequences of facts, policies, or circumstances
- Projecting Outcomes – Correctly estimates the likely outcomes of events, choices, or situations
- Evaluating Options – Assess the value of different options and decide which are preferable
- Explaining Reasons – Provides a fair-minded account of the reasons and evidence for a decision
- Each first responder mindset attribute is scored on 40-point scale divided into three qualitative categories: Not Manifested, Positive, Strong Positive.
- Each first responder reasoning skill metric is scored on a 300-point scale with corresponding qualitative ratings (Not Manifested, Moderate, Strong, and Superior).
Optional Custom Questions: At no additional cost clients can add up to ten client-specific custom descriptive survey questions to the assessment profile to enable sub-group reports.
Currently Available Languages: English
Licenses to Administer: Sold globally exclusively by Insight Assessment to all levels of government and all businesses, school districts, police, fire, security agencies, health care agencies, transport companies, and public-facing enterprises that employ people who are, or are expected to be, first responders in the event of an emergency or security breach; competitive grant-funded project directors; qualified researchers and doctoral dissertation scholars; and other for-profit and not-for-profit entities.
Comprehensive assessment services are available to our clients using any of the assessments in our INSIGHT series, including the INSIGHT First Responder, at no additional cost:
Starting with an initial consultation to learn about your project, our experienced assessment specialists support your project in multiple ways.
- Instrument selection: (e.g., the INSIGHT tool that best fits the organizational level and industry sector of the individuals to be assessed.)
- Administration strategies: (e.g., anonymous or with personal identifiers, the use of client-specific questions, the possibility of group sampling to achieve an aggregated group profile, etc.)
- Assessment logistics: (e.g., assessing job applicants onsite or remotely, gathering pre- or post- training aggregated assessment data.)
- Privacy Protection: We assist the client with privacy protection strategies, including, if needed, completely anonymous double-blind assessments.
- Introducing client-specific custom questions: Clients can enable organizing, managing, and analyzing the assessment data that they plan to collect by introducing up to ten client-designed profile questions. We assist clients with this process.
- Login generation: Whenever requested, we provide the client with as many discrete individual test-takers logins as the client requests so that test-takers can access our secure, encrypted, online assessment interface.
- Report generation: We manage the online group report generation tool and produce, at the client’s request, group reports, aggregating and disaggregating data by their client-specific custom questions.
- 24/7/365 emergency technical support for our client testing administrators
We demonstrate how easy it is to administer assessments using our intuitive, browser-based, multilingual online testing system on almost any device: computer, tablet, or smartphone.
In addition to the full user manual included with each assessment instrument, preview packages enable future clients to experience the intended assessment tool in exactly the same way it will be used in their planned project.
Nine Vital First Responder Mindset Attributes
- Calm Under Pressure: A responder who is calm under pressure displays confidence, strength, and focus in fulfilling duties. Higher scores indicate a person who does not allow themselves to become distracted or to panic when events are chaotic or when their efforts are not producing the intended results.
- Agentic: Agentic responders take responsibility for timely actions to address problems. Higher scores indicate someone who is willing to assume responsibility, to step in and take charge, or to carry out the directives of those in authority if that is what is needed.
- Inventive: An inventive person is driven to respond to emergent events by any means necessary. Higher scores indicate an expectation of personal creativity, resourcefulness, and self-reliance regarding accomplishing goals.
- Foresightful: The foresightful responder is alert to potential difficulties and strives to foresee consequences. Higher scores indicate someone who seeks to anticipate potential difficulties and expects to use reasoning and fact-finding to resolve difficulties.
- Organized: The organized responder takes a systematic approach to problem solving. Higher scores indicate someone who is persistent, orderly, and comprehensive in working through problems.
- Team-Oriented A team-oriented individual strives to do whatever they can to bring about the success of the team and its mission. Higher scores indicate a person who puts the good of the team ahead of personal gain or recognition.
- Unbiased: Unbiased professionals have no hesitation in coming to the assistance of people who are different than themselves. High scores indicate someone who is not deterred from working with anyone due to the age, gender, race, nationality, religion, political opinions, lifestyle, or social class of those in need.
- Accurate: The accurate professional endeavors to report events and situations to peers and to persons in authority exactly as they perceive them. Higher scores indicate someone who is inclined to speak honestly, perhaps even bluntly, with minimal concern for their own personal consequences.
- Courageous: Courageous responders bravely run to give aid and fulfill their duties. Higher scores indicate a person who acts fearlessly in the face of danger, someone who is willing to risk personal harm to serve and protect.
OVERALL Reasoning Skills: The OVERALL Reasoning Skills metric on the INSIGHT First Responder represents the integration of the thinking and reasoning skills needed to address problems and to make decisions associated with being effective as a first responder, or public safety or security officer. (This is a holistic score which represents the result of the test-taker’s sustained effort at coming to reasoned judgments using the full set of more specific reasoning skills described in the other five metrics.)
Five Essential First Responder Reasoning Skills
- Analyzing Situations: Analyzing situation involves examining circumstances, statements, and events to identify risks and priorities. Higher scores indicate a person who can identify relevant information, grasp its meaning, and pick out the most important facts, issues, and concerns.
- Determining Impacts: Determining impacts means precisely inferring the exact consequences that are implied by a given set of facts, policies, or circumstances. Higher scores indicate a person who thinks with logical and numerical precision.
- Projecting Outcomes: Projecting outcomes means correctly estimating what is likely to occur. Higher scores indicate a person who can forecast the most probable outcomes of choices and events.
- Evaluating Options: Evaluating options includes assessing which results, choices, claims, opinions, values, or approaches are better than others in each context. Higher scores indicate a person who can estimate the value of different possibilities and decide which choices are preferable.
- Explaining Reasons: Explaining reasons requires giving a fair-minded account of the reasons and evidence which support a given decision or conclusion. Higher scores indicate a person who can provide sound basis for what they have decided to believe or to do.
The INSIGHT First Responder Report Package includes an individual test-taker report for each person assessed and optional group summary reports for each group and sub-group in the sample.
Reports are generated immediately after the conclusion of testing, making real time assessment possible. Read more about how our customer support services work with clients to select their reporting options on our Services tab, phone, or contact us today for a free consultation.
Individual Reports include:
- Each thinking mindset attribute is scored on 40-point scale divided into three qualitative categories: Not Manifested, Positive, Strong Positive.
- Each reasoning skill metric is scored on a 300-point scale with corresponding qualitative ratings (Not Manifested, Moderate, Strong, and Superior).
- The Individual Report are be pushed as PDF files to an email address of the client’s choosing (for example, to an HR department hiring officer, a senior manager, or to an external search-firm or professional development consultant).
- The client controls whether individual reports are made available to the test-taker.
- Optional, free upon request, a short PDF assessment report debrief document, which can be distributed by the client to the people who were assessed.
Optional Group Analytics include:
- Excel spreadsheet files of all scores on all metrics. At the option of the client, these also include the responses to optional custom questions added by the client to the assessment profile.
- Presentation ready tables and graphic representation of the score distribution for all metrics.
- Our assessment support staff prepares and emails optional group analytical reports to clients using any of the INSIGHT series assessments for no extra charge at the request of the client.