INSIGHT Business Staff
INSIGHT Business Staff – Workplace Problem Solving and Work Ethic measures decision-making skills and thinking mindset of staff members who are expected to exercise a degree of problem-solving and sound judgment within their assigned area of responsibility. INSIGHT Business Staff is the instrument of choice for evaluating a wide variety of key organizational employees including departmental work team leaders, project managers, office assistants, first line supervisors, retail bank tellers, clerks, schedulers, dispatchers, helpdesk personnel, CSRs, aides, executive secretaries, etc. It is used by for-profit and not-for-profit businesses, institutions, and organizations, staff recruiters, HR departments, and staffing consultants for applicant and candidate screening, and for employee development and team-focused staff development purposes.
Population: INSIGHT Business Staff is calibrated for use with business staff employees and applicants for positions which require a positive work ethic and sound problem-solving within their assigned area of responsibility
Administration: Administer at any time, in any location with our user-friendly, encrypted, online, multi-lingual interface.
Support Materials: INSIGHT User Manual: Includes all needed information for the administration and interpretation of individual and group scores. A separate INSIGHT Business Staff Debrief Document, which client may elect to provide to the persons who are assessed, is available at no additional charge.
Specs: Max 75 minutes timed administration.
- 25 minutes allotted for 80 Likert-style Agree-Disagree items – business staff mindset attribute belief, value, and expectation statements.
- 50 minutes allotted for 32 engaging, business staff workplace scenario-based reasoning skill evaluation questions.
Deliverables: Individual score reports of all metrics for each person assessed. Optional group graphics with statistical summary of scores; Excel spreadsheet of responses to all custom demographic questions, and all scores for each person assessed.
Results Reported (Actionable Metrics):
- Ten Fundamental Business Staff Work Ethic Attributes:
- Dependability – Drive to do one’s part, to complete assigned tasks and take pride in doing so
- Professionalism – Focus on work responsibilities, collaboration, and positive leadership
- Job Commitment – Orientation toward the job and the company, its people, and its mission
- Desire to Work – Eagerness to work, engagement, pride in accomplishment of assignments
- Desire to Learn – Desire for continuous development and readiness to retool as duties change
- Desire to Think – Thoughtful engagement with problems, willingness to contribute constructively
- Workplace Safety – diligence and concern for personal, coworker, and client safety
- Workplace Tolerance – Respectful of diversity, including of varying opinions and perspectives
- Workplace Flexibility – Resilience, adaptability, openness to changing workplace demands
- Honesty – Respectful of property, following rules, keeping promises, and speaking truthfully
- Four Essential Business Staff Problem-Solving Skills, and an OVERALL rating:
- Situation Comprehension – analytical and interpretive skill at understanding problems
- Anticipating Outcomes – drawing logical and well justified inferences, seeing consequences
- Evaluating Choices – Assessing options and providing sound reasons for decisions
- Numeric Literacy – Reasoning with numerical information presented in charts, graphs, or tables
OVERALL – The integration of the reasoning skills needed to address and solve problems in the workplace
- Each business staff mindset attribute is scored on a 40-point scale divided into three qualitative categories (Not Manifested, Positive, Strong Positive).
- Each business staff reasoning skill metric is scored on a 200-point scale with corresponding qualitative ratings (Not Manifested, Moderate, Strong, and Superior).
Optional Custom Questions: At no additional cost clients can add up to ten client-specific custom descriptive survey questions to the assessment profile to enable sub-group reports.
Currently Available Languages: English and Spanish
Licenses to Administer: Sold globally exclusively by Insight Assessment to by for-profit and not-for-profit businesses, institutions, and organizations, staff recruiters, HR departments, and staffing consultants; competitive grant-funded project directors; qualified researchers and doctoral dissertation scholars; and other for-profit and not-for-profit entities.
Comprehensive assessment services are available to our clients using any of the assessments in our INSIGHT series, including INSIGHT Business Staff, at no additional cost:
Starting with an initial consultation to learn about your project, our experienced assessment specialists support your project in multiple ways.
- Instrument selection: We help the client find the INSIGHT tool that best fits the organizational level and industry sector of the individuals to be assessed.
- Administration strategies: Clients can keep test takers anonymous or use personal identifiers; sampling methods can measure an aggregated group profile without testing everyone.
- Assessment logistics: We help clients assess job applicants onsite or remotely; for development projects, we help in gathering pre- or post- training aggregated assessment data.
- Privacy Protection: We assist the client with privacy protection strategies, including, if needed, completely anonymous double-blind assessments.
- Introducing client-specific custom questions: Clients can enable organizing, managing, and analyzing the assessment data that they plan to collect by introducing up to ten client-designed demographic profile questions. We assist clients with this process.
- Login generation: We provide the client with as many single-use individual logins as requested so that test-takers can access our secure, encrypted, online assessment interface in a controlled manner.
- Report generation: We manage the online report generation tool and produce, at the client’s request, group reports, aggregating and disaggregating data by their client-specific custom demographic questions. Individual reports can be sent automatically in real time.
- 24/7/365 emergency technical support for our client testing administrators
We demonstrate how easy it is to administer assessments using our intuitive, browser-based, multilingual online testing system on almost any device: computer, tablet, or smartphone.
In addition to the full user manual included with each assessment instrument, preview packages enable future clients to experience the intended assessment tool in exactly the same way it will be used in their planned project.
Business Staff Work Ethic Attributes
- Dependability: Dependability is the motivation to complete assigned tasks and take pride in the accomplishment of work assignments. This metric speaks to the sense of responsibility one feels to coworkers or to do one’s part. Higher scores show a strong work ethic and attention to the demands of an assignment. Dependability is significant when an individual’s absence can have a negative ripple effect on the success of a project or team.
- Professionalism: This metric focuses on social interactions in the workplace. Higher scores indicate the tendency to limit socializing to that which is necessary to get the job done and taking an appropriate and professional approach to social interactions at work. Professionalism is vital to maintaining a proper focus on work responsibilities, facilitating collaboration, and providing positive leadership.
- Job Commitment: Staff who are committed show an orientation toward the job and the company, its people, and its mission. Higher scores indicate feelings of loyalty to one’s workplace and its goals and ideals. Commitment to the job can be vital when assignments are essential to the organization, highly detailed, or if the function is repetitive.
- Desire to Work: This metric addresses eagerness to work and one’s sense of pride and self-worth derived from working. Strong desire to work is a positive reference to potential employment longevity. Higher scores indicate someone who tends to focus their energy on their work and to define themselves by the work they do. A desire to work speaks broadly to one’s own expected level of engagement and productivity.
- Desire to Learn: Valued staff have an appreciation of continuous development and the need to retool in light of changing work responsibilities. As the workplace grows or changes, one can either aid in the transition or resist the personal impact of change, which inhibits institutional benefit. Higher scores indicate someone who is eager to learn new processes, new systems, and new procedures. A willingness to learn is essential for positions where specific knowledge must be gained on the job.
- Desire to Think: Valued staff show their orientation toward the thoughtful engagement of problems. The desire to think is valued by businesses that expect all employees to contribute constructively to the resolution of customer and workplace problems. Higher scores indicate that someone sees the value of thinking things through before making decisions, which is particularly essential in roles in which one is responsible for managing change, product development or competitive threat.
- Workplace Safety: This scale addresses diligence and concern for personal safety as well as that of coworkers. Higher scores indicate due regard for the value of workplace safety rules and precautions, rather than cutting corners and taking unnecessary risks. Due concern for workplace safety and job quality is important for the welfare and productivity of workers and co-workers.
- Workplace Tolerance: This metric addresses respect for diversity in the workplace, including respect for varied perspectives and alternative opinions and solutions. Higher scores indicate respect for people independent of such factors as age, gender, and sexual orientation. Tolerance is valuable in all settings, but most important when functions require interaction with clients, customers, suppliers, colleagues, or coworkers from broadly diverse demographic backgrounds.
- Workplace Flexibility: Flexibility in the workplace requires adaptability to changing workplace situations and demands. Reaching solutions demands openness and willingness to adjust expectations. Higher scores on this scale indicate someone who is resilient and welcoming toward workplace requirements for change and for the application of new or different skills. Flexibility is highly valued in fast-paced or fluid environments.
- Honesty: Honesty metric addresses the inclination toward respecting other people’s property, following rules, keeping promises, and speaking truthfully. Higher scores indicate trustworthiness and appreciation of honesty in communication and behavior. Honesty is very important for placement in higher risk or unsupervised positions.
Essential Business Staff Problem Solving Skills
- OVERALL: The OVERALL Workplace Problem Solving Skills metric on INSIGHT Staff represents the integration of thinking and reasoning skills needed to address workplace situations requiring practical problem solving at the organization’s staff levels. (This is a holistic score which represents the result of the test-taker’s sustained effort at coming to reasoned judgments using the full set of more specific reasoning skills described in the other four metrics.)
- Situation Comprehension: A strong staff employee can understand business situations, keep details in proportion, and focus on the elements of the work that matter. A strong score on this scale indicates someone with excellent analytical and interpretive skills. The capacity to identify the key features of the work one is responsible for performing and to interpret the relative significance of those features contributes to staff productivity and efficiency.
- Anticipating Outcomes: The ability to anticipate consequences and outcomes is essential for personnel who have staff level responsibilities. A strong score on this scale indicates excellent skills in drawing logical and well justified inferences in a wide variety of work-related contexts including those requiring logical precision and those requiring probabilistic considerations. Strength in this skill domain enables staff to contribute to team problem solving, to anticipate the needs of clients and customers, and to offer suggestions which can help an organization deliver its products and services more effectively and efficiently.
- Evaluating Choices: Staff who can offer sound opinions and to explain their evaluations by providing good reasons contribute to the overall success of any organization. A strong score on this scale indicates strength in the core reasoning skills of evaluation and explanation. The capacity of staff to differentiate the quality of different possible choices and to explain the reasons behind that evaluation are key to successful problem solving by individuals and teams.
- Numeric Literacy: Staff must be able to perform well when vital information involves numerical data. A strong score on this scale indicates skill in applying analysis, interpretation, inference, and evaluation to decision contexts where critical numerical information is presented in charts, graphs, text, or tables. Numeric literacy on the part of all staff members is essential in today’s workplace, but particularly for those whose work involves sales, budgets, invoicing, payables, receivables, or responding to customer questions about any of these concerns.
The INSIGHT Business Report Package includes an individual test-taker report for each person assessed and optional group summary reports for each group and sub-group in the sample.
Reports are generated immediately after the conclusion of testing, making real time assessment possible. Read more about how our customer support specialists work with clients to select their reporting options on our Services tab or contact us for a free consultation.
Individual Reports include:
- Each work ethic attribute is scored on a 40-point scale divided into three qualitative categories (Not Manifested, Positive, Strong Positive).
- Each problem-solving skill metric is scored on a 200-point scale with corresponding qualitative ratings (Not Manifested, Moderate, Strong, and Superior).
- The Individual Report can be pushed as PDF files to an email address of the client’s choosing (for example, to an HR department hiring officer, a senior manager, or to an external search firm or professional development consultant).
- The client controls whether individual reports are made available to the test-taker.
- A short PDF assessment report debrief document to help in understanding scores – it can be distributed by the client to the people who were assessed.
Optional Group Analytics include:
- Excel spreadsheet files of all scores on all metrics. These also include the responses to optional custom demographic questions added by the client to the assessment profile.
- Presentation-ready tables and graphic representation of the score distribution for all metrics.
- Free upon request, our assessment support staff prepares and emails group analytical reports to clients using any of the INSIGHT series assessments.