A good critical thinking test is not going to be a test of factual knowledge about critical thinking. Memorizing information and definitions is not the key. A good critical thinking test will engage you in using your thinking skills and mindset because critical thinking is a process.
Achieving greater success with critical thinking requires practice. Regularly exercising your critical thinking skills builds strength.
Our test instruments are used in academic institutions for admissions purposes and learning outcomes assessment purposes. Businesses also use the assessments for employee selection and training purposes.
How do Insight Assessment tests work?
Insight Assessment educational and employment test instruments are designed to measure a person’s reasoning skills and thinking mindset. Here is how they work:
- If you take one of our thinking mindset assessments you will be presented with a list of simple statements and asked whether you agree or disagree with each of those statements. No study or other kind of preparation is needed for this kind of an assessment.
- If you take one of our thinking skills tests you will be presented with questions that ask you which is the best response? All the information needed to answer is provided in the question itself. You’ll need to apply your critical thinking skills to that information and then select the best response from those provided. Again, no studying or specialized subject matter knowledge is needed, since the questions provide the content about which you’ll be reasoning.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete the assessment in an environment free of distraction.
- If you are taking the assessment in app or online mode, your test administrator will provide a link and user login instructions. Your test may be timed; the online test systems include a timer that counts down the remaining time. The timer does not start until you actually bring the first test question up on the screen.
- Tests are scored electronically using our secure, validated testing system. Test results will be provided to you or your test administrator.
Can I study for a critical thinking test?
Research shows that your brain grows stronger when you give it a workout by studying new information, learning new skills or reflecting on new experiences.
Building strong reasoning skills and a positive thinking mindset involves engaging problems and making decisions in a thoughtful way. There are many products designed to engage and strengthen critical thinking.
- To gain an overview of critical thinking and how the skills and habits of mind go together in problem solving and decision making, we suggest the essay “Critical Thinking: What It Is and Why It Counts,” which you can download from our website.
- Generic adult level sample critical thinking skills questions and thinking mindset questions are posted on our website. These samples are only examples, not the same as the ones used on the tests you may being asked to take by schools, colleges or businesses.
- Our own free app, Critical Thinking Insight, contains examples of critical thinking assessments, although not the same ones used by schools, colleges and businesses. You may want to download our app and view the free sample skills and mindset questions there. This will also give you a chance to familiarize yourself with our app based online test systems.
- An introductory college level textbook, “Think Critically,” by Facione and Gittens, is available from Pearson Education.