We are often asked about the correlation between critical thinking skills and strong business reasoning skills.
Many clients are preparing to make a commitment to growing their businesses by building strength in decision-making skills. Often they want to know if the thinking skills their employees need can be assessed.
The landmark 1990 APA Delphi Report identified the core cognitive skills and characteristics of critical thinkers.
The relationship between critical thinking and business reasoning skills is clear: critical thinking is the term originating with this research for many of the skills and mindsets that businesses identify as problem solving or decision-making skills. In consultation with experts and working professionals and from decades of research on thinking and reasoning in human decision making, Insight Assessment has identified core skills and mindsets that are necessary for high stakes decision making in the business world.
Five Thinking Skills for High Stakes Decision-making
The relationship of these core business problem solving or decision making skills to key critical thinking skills is shown on the table below (available in PDF form).
Thinking in Leading, Deciding, and Motivating
- Identify Critical Elements
- Analyze the strategic environment, identify its elements and their relationships
- Interpret events and other elements in the strategic environment for signs of risk, opportunity, weakness, advantage
- Project Logical Consequences
- Infer, given what is known with precision and accuracy within the strategic environment, the logical and most predictable consequences of various courses of action
- Navigate Risk and Uncertainty
- Infer, given the range of uncertainty and risk in the strategic environment, the full range of the possible and probable consequences of each possible course of action
- Assess Decision Options
- Evaluate anticipated results for positive and negative impacts
- Evaluate risks, opportunities, options, consequences
- Explain the rationale (evidence, methodology, criteria, theoretical assumptions, and context) for deciding on the integrated strategic objectives and for the planning and action parameters that compose the strategy
- Double Check Everything: At every step review one’s own thinking and make necessary corrections.
INSIGHT assessments are proven tools for measuring strengths and weakness in the essential business thinking skills described above.
INSIGHT offers more options and better fit with your needs because it provides multiple levels calibrated for business, healthcare, science and engineering, first response, defense and legal organizations. Assessments provide objective data for prescreening candidates, placement and talent development.
INSIGHT Development Program is a proven self-paced online employee training program designed to build critical thinking in teams as well as in individuals.
INSIGHT Development Program can be integrated into your training programs or can be implemented as new initiative. Modules focus on specific essential thinking skills and mindset attributes. Each purchase includes:
- series of modules targeted to strengthen an individual’s thinking characteristics
- the use of the corresponding Insight Assessment testing instrument and individual reports that can be used for individual professional development, continuous improvement initiatives, talent identification and other quality improvement programs.
Assessing thinking is the first step to improving the quality of decision-making in your organization. Be sure you are assessing the skills you need.
Contact us. We will show you how easy it is to incorporate thinking skills assessment into your hiring, training and employee development programs.