Leadership requires exceptional decision making skills
Decision-makers must create clarity out of ambiguity.
Decision-makers must evaluate risks and opportunities and make a commitment to achieve their goals. How does a CEO keep the leadership team on goal? Each executive’s decisions may be reasonable. But a CEO still needs assurance their decisions maintain company vision.
Facing high pressure, complex circumstances, opportunity deadlines, too much, too little, or conflicting information is the reality of being a leader.
Decision making in complex situations is never easy
But businesses can’t afford to get it wrong. Here are the top five critical leadership decision making skills, as measured by INSIGHT Executive:
1. Identify critical factors which will affect the outcome of a decision.
Being a strongly skilled decision-maker requires having excellent analytical and interpretive skills. These are used to determine the issues that must be addressed and accounted for in the deliberative and implementation phases.
2. Evaluate options accurately and establish priorities.
Effective leaders can assess the quality of alternatives and explain the reasons behind that evaluation.
3. Anticipate outcomes and see logical consequences.
Adept strategists draw logical inferences in precisely defined and tightly structured contexts. This allows them to see the applications and the implications of all factors that shape and constrain decision making. Government regulations, policies, basic assumptions, core principles and protocols should be considered.
4. Navigate risk and uncertainty.
The most accomplished managers judge the most probable and best justified inferences to draw in uncertain contexts. Information given may be uncertain or ambiguous, and the best inference is not a foregone conclusion. The future is always unknown.
5. Reason well in contexts requiring quantitative analysis.
Leaders must be able to analyze, interpret and evaluate vital information as presented in charts, graphs, text or tables. They must understand what the numbers mean and how this impacts their options.
Vision and decision making strength start at the top
INSIGHT delivers the data needed to assure CEOs that the senior management team has the critical thinking skills to excel.
- The metrics reported on INSIGHT assessments are rigorously calibrated. They objectively identify how decisions were made and measure the application of reasoning skills.
- Comprehensive individual reports document the strengths and weaknesses in essential leadership mindset attributes and the cognitive skills required for high stakes decision making.
- Effortless integration into your current human resource processes. Easy online administration takes the stress out of employee assessment. Results are in your inbox within minutes.