STEM Thinking Skills Test
The STEM Thinking Skills Test (STEM) evaluates reasoning skills essential for success in engineering, technology, science, mathematics, and related subjects.
Measure quantitative reasoning skills
The STEM Thinking Skills Test is used to evaluate student skills in educational contexts where demonstrated ability to apply quantitative reasoning is valued.
The STEM Thinking Skills Test can be predictive of potential success in subjects such as mathematics, statistics, the natural and behavioral sciences, engineering, finance, economics, computer science, architecture, and information technology.
Educators use STEM Thinking Test group data to evaluate the effectiveness of STEM curricula and to assess the readiness of applicants.
The STEM Thinking Skills Test is a scientifically developed measure of a range of quantitative reasoning skills. The assessment is oriented toward experimental design, engineering, and information sciences. All questions are set in contexts that are familiar to adult and adolescent test-takers. Items do not require specialized knowledge.
Mindful of the diversity of the intended test-takers — adolescents and adult learners in a wide variety of educational settings — the questions are designed to be culturally sensitive and inclusive. Questions provide scenarios, contexts, and information requiring test-takers apply their thinking skills to infer the best answer from among the choices offered. Multiple choice items use everyday scenarios, appropriate to the intended test-taker group. Each item requires that the test-taker make an accurate and complete interpretation of the question. Any specialized information needed to respond correctly is provided in the question itself.
The STEM Thinking Skills Test is typically administered in 50 minutes; the length of the instrument is set to permit maximum performance within the range of possible effort for the intended test-taker group.
Scores achieved by each individual test-taker, and aggregated group scores, bar charts, and descriptive statistics are reported on five metrics.
The scales of the STEM Thinking Skills Test are designed to address common contexts where higher order thinking is critically important. In addition to a cumulative Overall score, this instrument provides numerical and qualitative scores on for specific metrics:
- STEM Reasoning Overall
- Out-of-the-Box Algebra
- Spatial-Relational Thinking
- Scientific Thinking
- Tech Logic
Our app based assessment tools are easily administered 24/7 via our secure, encrypted, online, multi-lingual interface over a wide array of major platforms while offering a single simple interface to mobile, or non-mobile users. An in-app tutorial makes it simple to administer the assessment. Insight Assessment testing specialists will work directly with your in-house technology representative during set-up to ensure a smooth solution.
Recommended Companion Assessment
Engaging problems and making decisions using critical thinking involves both skills and mindset. For a complete assessment of a test taker’s critical thinking, it is recommended that both skills and dispositions be measured. Using companion assessments results in a comprehensive measurement of whether a test taker is ‘willing and able’ to think well.
We recommend that the STEM Thinking Skills Test be taken in conjunction with the California Critical Thinking Disposition Inventory (CCTDI).
Contact us today to discuss this effective way to predict which applicants have the critical thinking and quantitative reasoning skills to succeed in competitive STEM programs.
The STEM Thinking Skills Test returns scores on the following scales:
STEM Reasoning Overall
Out-of-the-box mathematical thinking is the ability to come up with elegant solutions to algebraic and arithmetic problems that might otherwise seem long and arduous. While problems of this kind may be solved with brute force techniques, time-limited contexts often render exhaustive calculations impractical.
Spatial-Relational Thinking: the skill of recognizing and predicting spatial relationships, geometric progressions, and the best organization of objects in space for engineering and design related purposes.
Tech Logic: the ability to identify the logical structures and organizational plan manifested in written text, diagrams, data files, and mathematical functions.
Scientific Thinking: the skill of framing a problem from observations, determining possible, or likely, significant relationships between a set of provided facts, and determining which observations would count as reasonable evidence for or against competing hypotheses.
High quality objective metrics
The STEM Thinking Skills Test has been designed to deliver high quality objective metrics on the reasoning skills essential for success in engineering, technology, science, mathematics, and related subjects.
The STEM Thinking Skills Test delivers individual and group results in a presentation ready format. Each report includes a wide range of statistical and demographic information about individuals and/or test-taker groups. Test-taker scores and group summaries are presented with interpretative analysis by Insight Assessment measurement scientists.
The STEM test measures and reports on strength and weakness in an array of reasoning skill scale scores including STEM Reasoning Overall, STEM Reasoning Overall, Out-of-the-Box Algebra, Spatial-Relational Thinking, Scientific Thinking, and Tech Logic.
Data to achieve assessment goals
Insight Assessment clients depend on the comprehensive data and analysis in STEM Thinking Skills Test reports to provide the insights needed to achieve their assessment goals.
Clients are currently using individual data for professional development, student or intern placement, advising, and competency training.
Group data is used for new cohort assessment, outcomes assessment and admissions. It is also used to demonstrate the quality of an educational or training program or to demonstrate group proficiency.
Clients can customize their results package with additional analyses, graphics and interpretative text discussing your scores in relationship to your specific goals and objectives. Contact us or call us at 650-697-5628 for more information and a free price quote.
For further information, see Insight Assessment Reports and Analytics
Why Choose Insight Assessment for Education
Insight Assessment provides world-class reasoning skills testing, thinking mindset assessment, instructor and student learning resources, and highly responsive client support services to educational clients including universities, colleges, K-12 schools, and individual researchers.
We are dedicated to supplying the very best online instrumentation, client-specific data gathering capacity, report generation options, and professional development consulting services possible so that educators can accurately assess and successfully nurture in students a positive critical thinking mindset and strengthen their students’ critical thinking skills.
Since 1986 we have assisted thousands of educational institutions, doctoral dissertation candidates, and grant-funded scholars to gather valid and reliable data for applicant selection, student retention, student success, program evaluation, educational effectiveness, faculty development, quality-improvement plans, educational research, and accreditation self-study purposes.
Insight Assessment Solutions Set the Standard:
World- leading critical thinking assessments and educational development tools
- Well-established, valid, reliable, culturally sensitive measures of students’ critical thinking mindset dispositions and their critical thinking skills applicable across all academic fields of study.
- Different tools specifically tailored and calibrated for each educational level: graduate, undergraduate, community college, and K-12 students at all levels.
- Online delivery in as many as 30 languages including English, Spanish, Arabic and Chinese. Currently available language options vary by the instrument selected for use.
- Engaging, self-development online critical thinking training modules and the Keys & Strategies Course Pack for high school, college, and adult learners.
- A library of free instructional resources and research on critical thinking to support faculty development.
- Deep discounts for non-profit educational institutions, NGOs, doctoral dissertation scholars, and researchers funded by external grants.
Relevant, immediate, and actionable score and analytics reporting
- Online reports package includes statistical and graphical presentations of aggregated group data and detailed “stats-ready” scores for each student assessed on each metric.
- Client training in the use of our online report generation tool to enable authorized personnel to generate custom reports, aggregating and disaggregating data by school, discipline, classroom, or any of the custom questions that the client may have included.
- Comprehensive group reports provide quantitative and qualitative scores on each metric assessed, applicable percentile benchmark of the overall critical thinking score, table of descriptive statistics for each metric, and presentation-ready color graphics displaying group performance on each metric.
- Printable individual reports specify qualitative and quantitative scores, percentile score if relevant, and detailed descriptions of each metric to aid in understanding more fully the individual’s strengths and weakness in reasoning skills or dispositional mindset attributes.
- Client’s choice of US or international comparison percentile group to rank each overall critical thinking score for organizational and individual benchmarking purposes. Available percentile benchmark selections vary by the instrument selected for use.
Superior assessment services
- Starting with an initial consultation to learn about your project, our experienced assessment specialists work with you on instrument selection and administration strategies that can best support your project.
- We assist clients in adding client-specific custom questions to enable organizing, managing, and analyzing the critical thinking assessment data that they plan to collect with our secure encrypted data collection and fully customizable student profile options.
- We demonstrate how easy it is to administer assessments even to very young students using our intuitive, browser-based, multilingual online testing system on almost any device: computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- We assist with privacy protection strategies, including, if needed, completely anonymous double-blind assessments.
- Preview packages enable future clients to experience the intended assessment tool in exactly the same way their students would. Preview packs include access to the full user manual.A
Training and consulting services
- Faculty development workshops focused on effective classroom strategies used to teach for critical thinking across the full spectrum of academic subject areas. Highly experienced academic workshop leaders with a track record of presenting engaging and effective faculty workshops at national conferences and on site.
- Institutional effectiveness consulting to assist with preparation for accreditation and outcomes assessment projects. Senior level consultants with solid academic resumes and many years of direct experience in higher education leadership positions.
Need to expedite your project? We can have your first online testing assignment available for your students within 24 hours.
As a qualified purchaser, we offer the option of purchasing a preview of the assessment experience.
A preview provides you with one or more opportunities to view and experience the assessment from the perspective of the individual being assessed and to see the reporting options.
Your account representative will set up your preview of the instrument on mobile devices or on computers. The preview includes the profile page, an example of the assessment itself, and an example of the individual report that will be provided at completion of the assessment.
Each preview also includes a digital copy of the user manual and resource guide for the specific instrument you are viewing. User manuals provide:
- a brief description of each metric being assessed by the instrument;
- a description of how to interpret both individual and group assessment results;
- a discussion of validity and reliability for the measures;
- all necessary information about administration of the assessment;
- many additional resources that we hope you will find useful for designing your assessment project.
Contact us to order a preview now, or receive your preview when you place your first order for assessments.