Quant Q: Measure Quantitative Reasoning
The Quant-Q is an objective measure of quantitative reasoning skills for use with adolescents and adults in all educational and employment contexts where the demonstrated ability to apply quantitative reasoning is valued.
Quant Q Purpose
Success in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) disciplines requires strong quantitative reasoning skills. The Quant-Q targets reasoning skills in relation to quantitative problems. The instrument is designed to measure one’s ability to think beyond the calculations themselves in order to reason to the proper applications of those calculations.
The Quant-Q is ideal for:
- Selective college preparatory schools
- Colleges and universities
Quant Q Overview
The Quant-Q is a scientifically developed measure of cognitive ability that is designed for use in a 50 minute time frame. Programs in mathematics, economics, statistics, the physical and biological sciences, engineering, computer science, architecture, and business find the Quant-Q particularly useful.
The Quant Q provides five measurements of quantitative reasoning skills: Pattern Recognition, Probability Combinatorics, Out-of-the-Box Algebra, Geometry and Optimization and Quant Q Overall.
Insight Assessment offers the industry’s most complete and cost-effective array of testing options. Secure, encrypted online testing is available 24x7x365 with our multilingual delivery options. Our browser or app based online system provides the option of taking our assessments on virtually any device.
The test-taker’s online interface is easy to use, data encrypted and flexible. Tests can be assigned to be taken within any window of time which meets the client’s needs. Each test is scored as soon as the test-taker submits responses to the items on the test.
Tests are available any time any where, whether directly at your site or multiple sites, at test centers or to individual devices.
Contact us today to learn how programs use the powerful, nationally benchmarked Quant Q as part of their undergraduate and graduate STEM admissions process.
The Quant Q provides five measurements of quantitative reasoning skills.
Pattern recognition is the skill of recognizing meaningful patterns, progressions, functions, similarities and differences in sequences of objects, letters or numbers. Code breaking is one application of pattern recognition.
Combinatorics focuses on determining the number of different possible arrangements of objects within a finite set, e.g. how many ways can six people arrange themselves around the dinner table? Logical analyses that use combinatorics, along with the ability to estimate probabilities based on proportionality, are the basic building blocks for solving statistical inference problems.
Out-of-the-box mathematical thinking is the ability to come up with elegant solutions to algebraic and arithmetic problems that might otherwise seem long and arduous. While problems of this kind may be solved with brute force techniques, time-limited contexts often render exhaustive calculations impractical.
Geometry and Optimization
Spatial geometry optimization is the extent to which a person uses his or her basic understanding of geometry and the properties of triangles and circles to solve problems relating to physical spaces.
Quant Q – Overall
The Quant Q Overall score represents overall skill in reasoning through quantitative and mathematical problems.
Individual and group scores are provided for all Insight Individual and group scores are provided for all Insight Assessment test takers. Different groups of test takers have very different performance levels and therefore their scores differ quite a bit on scientifically developed measures of cognitive ability. It is important to understand how your group of test takers compares to selected external comparison groups, for example, the population of comparable regional or national peer groups.
The reports for each Insight Assessment critical thinking skills test instrument provide scores that can be benchmarked against a variety of external comparison groups so that our clients are able to evaluate the scores of individual test takers or of their entire group. If you do not see what you are specifically looking for, contact us to discuss your needs with a testing specialist.
Quant Q Comparison Percentiles
High School Students
The QUANT Q has been designed to deliver high quality objective metrics on the strengths and weaknesses of key aspects of thinking.
QUANT Q reports deliver individual and group results in a presentation ready format. Each report includes a wide range of statistical and demographic information about individuals and/or test-taker groups. Test-taker scores and group summaries are presented with interpretative analysis by Insight Assessment measurement scientists.
The QUANT Q measures and reports on five quantitative reasoning skills: Pattern Recognition, Probability Combinatorics, Out-of-the-Box Algebra, Geometry and Optimization plus Quant Q – Overall.
Insight Assessment clients depend on the comprehensive data and analysis in a QUANT Q report to provide the insights needed to achieve their assessment goals. Clients are currently using individual data for professional development, student or in placement, hiring, advising, competency training. Group data is being used for new cohort assessment, outcomes assessment, demonstrating the quality of an educational or training program, demonstrating group proficiency, staff development, admissions and more.
Clients can customize their results package with additional analyses, graphics and interpretative text discussing your scores in relationship to your particular goals and objectives. For further information, see Insight Assessment Reports and Analytics.
Why Choose Insight Assessment for Education
Insight Assessment provides world-class reasoning skills testing, thinking mindset assessment, instructor and student learning resources, and highly responsive client support services to educational clients including universities, colleges, K-12 schools, and individual researchers.
We are dedicated to supplying the very best online instrumentation, client-specific data gathering capacity, report generation options, and professional development consulting services possible so that educators can accurately assess and successfully nurture in students a positive critical thinking mindset and strengthen their students’ critical thinking skills.
Since 1986 we have assisted thousands of educational institutions, doctoral dissertation candidates, and grant-funded scholars to gather valid and reliable data for applicant selection, student retention, student success, program evaluation, educational effectiveness, faculty development, quality-improvement plans, educational research, and accreditation self-study purposes.
Insight Assessment Solutions Set the Standard:
World- leading critical thinking assessments and educational development tools
- Well-established, valid, reliable, culturally sensitive measures of students’ critical thinking mindset dispositions and their critical thinking skills applicable across all academic fields of study.
- Different tools specifically tailored and calibrated for each educational level: graduate, undergraduate, community college, and K-12 students at all levels.
- Online delivery in as many as 30 languages including English, Spanish, Arabic and Chinese. Currently available language options vary by the instrument selected for use.
- Engaging, self-development online critical thinking training modules and the Keys & Strategies Course Pack for high school, college, and adult learners.
- A library of free instructional resources and research on critical thinking to support faculty development.
- Deep discounts for non-profit educational institutions, NGOs, doctoral dissertation scholars, and researchers funded by external grants.
Relevant, immediate, and actionable score and analytics reporting
- Online reports package includes statistical and graphical presentations of aggregated group data and detailed “stats-ready” scores for each student assessed on each metric.
- Client training in the use of our online report generation tool to enable authorized personnel to generate custom reports, aggregating and disaggregating data by school, discipline, classroom, or any of the custom questions that the client may have included.
- Comprehensive group reports provide quantitative and qualitative scores on each metric assessed, applicable percentile benchmark of the overall critical thinking score, table of descriptive statistics for each metric, and presentation-ready color graphics displaying group performance on each metric.
- Printable individual reports specify qualitative and quantitative scores, percentile score if relevant, and detailed descriptions of each metric to aid in understanding more fully the individual’s strengths and weakness in reasoning skills or dispositional mindset attributes.
- Client’s choice of US or international comparison percentile group to rank each overall critical thinking score for organizational and individual benchmarking purposes. Available percentile benchmark selections vary by the instrument selected for use.
Superior assessment services
- Starting with an initial consultation to learn about your project, our experienced assessment specialists work with you on instrument selection and administration strategies that can best support your project.
- We assist clients in adding client-specific custom questions to enable organizing, managing, and analyzing the critical thinking assessment data that they plan to collect with our secure encrypted data collection and fully customizable student profile options.
- We demonstrate how easy it is to administer assessments even to very young students using our intuitive, browser-based, multilingual online testing system on almost any device: computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- We assist with privacy protection strategies, including, if needed, completely anonymous double-blind assessments.
- Preview packages enable future clients to experience the intended assessment tool in exactly the same way their students would. Preview packs include access to the full user manual.A
Training and consulting services
- Faculty development workshops focused on effective classroom strategies used to teach for critical thinking across the full spectrum of academic subject areas. Highly experienced academic workshop leaders with a track record of presenting engaging and effective faculty workshops at national conferences and on site.
- Institutional effectiveness consulting to assist with preparation for accreditation and outcomes assessment projects. Senior level consultants with solid academic resumes and many years of direct experience in higher education leadership positions.
Need to expedite your project? We can have your first online testing assignment available for your students within 24 hours.
Authorized translations of the Quant Q are available in the following languages:
As a qualified purchaser, we offer the option of purchasing a preview of the assessment experience.
A preview provides you with one or more opportunities to view and experience the assessment from the perspective of the individual being assessed and to see the reporting options.
Your account representative will set up your preview of the instrument on mobile devices or on computers. The preview includes the profile page, an example of the assessment itself, and an example of the individual report that will be provided at completion of the assessment.
Each preview also includes a digital copy of the user manual and resource guide for the specific instrument you are viewing. User manuals provide:
- a brief description of each metric being assessed by the instrument;
- a description of how to interpret both individual and group assessment results;
- a discussion of validity and reliability for the measures;
- all necessary information about administration of the assessment;
- many additional resources that we hope you will find useful for designing your assessment project.
Contact us to order a preview now, or receive your preview when you place your first order for assessments.