Quant Q: Measure Quantitative Reasoning
The Quant-Q is an objective measure of quantitative reasoning skills for use with adolescents and adults in all educational and employment contexts where the demonstrated ability to apply quantitative reasoning is valued.
Quant Q Purpose
Success in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) disciplines requires strong quantitative reasoning skills. The Quant-Q targets reasoning skills in relation to quantitative problems. The instrument is designed to measure one’s ability to think beyond the calculations themselves in order to reason to the proper applications of those calculations.
The Quant-Q is ideal for:
- Selective college preparatory schools
- Colleges and universities
Quant Q Overview
The Quant-Q is a scientifically developed measure of cognitive ability that is designed for use in a 50 minute time frame. Programs in mathematics, economics, statistics, the physical and biological sciences, engineering, computer science, architecture, and business find the Quant-Q particularly useful.
The Quant Q provides five measurements of quantitative reasoning skills: Pattern Recognition, Probability Combinatorics, Out-of-the-Box Algebra, Geometry and Optimization and Quant Q Overall.
Insight Assessment offers the industry’s most complete and cost-effective array of testing options including online and traditional paper-and-pencil solutions.
Secure, encrypted online testing is available 24x7x365 with our multilingual delivery options. Our browser or app based online system provides the option of taking our assessments on virtually any device.
Tests are available any time any where, whether directly at your site or multiple sites, at test centers or to individual devices.
Contact us today to learn how programs use the powerful, nationally benchmarked Quant Q as part of their undergraduate and graduate STEM admissions process.
The Quant Q provides five measurements of quantitative reasoning skills.
Pattern recognition is the skill of recognizing meaningful patterns, progressions, functions, similarities and differences in sequences of objects, letters or numbers. Code breaking is one application of pattern recognition.
Combinatorics focuses on determining the number of different possible arrangements of objects within a finite set, e.g. how many ways can six people arrange themselves around the dinner table? Logical analyses that use combinatorics, along with the ability to estimate probabilities based on proportionality, are the basic building blocks for solving statistical inference problems.
Out-of-the-box mathematical thinking is the ability to come up with elegant solutions to algebraic and arithmetic problems that might otherwise seem long and arduous. While problems of this kind may be solved with brute force techniques, time-limited contexts often render exhaustive calculations impractical.
Geometry and Optimization
Spatial geometry optimization is the extent to which a person uses his or her basic understanding of geometry and the properties of triangles and circles to solve problems relating to physical spaces.
Quant Q – Overall
The Quant Q Overall score represents overall skill in reasoning through quantitative and mathematical problems.
Individual and group scores are provided for all Insight Individual and group scores are provided for all Insight Assessment test takers. Different groups of test takers have very different performance levels and therefore their scores differ quite a bit on scientifically developed measures of cognitive ability. It is important to understand how your group of test takers compares to selected external comparison groups, for example, the population of comparable regional or national peer groups.
The reports for each Insight Assessment critical thinking skills test instrument provide scores that can be benchmarked against a variety of external comparison groups so that our clients are able to evaluate the scores of individual test takers or of their entire group. If you do not see what you are specifically looking for, contact us to discuss your needs with a testing specialist.
Quant Q Comparison Percentiles
High School Students
The QUANT Q has been designed to deliver high quality objective metrics on the strengths and weaknesses of key aspects of thinking.
QUANT Q reports deliver individual and group results in a presentation ready format. Each report includes a wide range of statistical and demographic information about individuals and/or test-taker groups. Test-taker scores and group summaries are presented with interpretative analysis by Insight Assessment measurement scientists.
The QUANT Q measures and reports on five quantitative reasoning skills: Pattern Recognition, Probability Combinatorics, Out-of-the-Box Algebra, Geometry and Optimization plus Quant Q – Overall.
The Assessment Report package includes:
- Individual test-taker analytics:
- an overall score of thinking ability (Overall Score)
- a categorical interpretation of the strength of the Overall Score and scale scores
- a norm-referenced percentile ranking (applicable to skills assessments only)
- scale scores to indicate which of the skills areas are particularly strong and which are weaker and require training attention.
- test administrators control whether test-takers receive their individual results after testing.
- Group analytics include:
- descriptive statistics and presentation ready graphic representation of the average Overall score and scale scores for the group
- descriptive graphics and representations including size of the group, mean, median, standard deviation, standard error of the mean, lowest score, highest score, first quartile score and third quartile score. To see video about interpreting group report histograms
- descriptive statistics of the demographic characteristics of the test-taker group (if collected
- the average percentile of group as compared to a pre-selected external norm group (applicable to skills assessments only). For more information on norm-referenced scores
- Electronic data files spreadsheet with all scale scores and demographic responses.
- User Manual which includes chapters on interpreting individual and group test-taker scores using our 4-Step Process.
Insight Assessment clients depend on the comprehensive data and analysis in a QUANT Q report to provide the insights needed to achieve their assessment goals. Clients are currently using individual data for professional development, student or in placement, hiring, advising, competency training. Group data is being used for new cohort assessment, outcomes assessment, demonstrating the quality of an educational or training program, demonstrating group proficiency, staff development, admissions and more.
Clients can customize their results package with additional analyses, graphics and interpretative text discussing your scores in relationship to your particular goals and objectives. For further information, see Insight Assessment Reports and Analytics.
Authorized translations of the Quant Q are available in the following languages:
As a qualified purchaser, we offer the option of purchasing a preview of the assessment experience.
A preview provides you with one or more opportunities to view and experience the assessment from the perspective of the individual being assessed and to see the reporting options.
Your account representative will set up your preview of the instrument on mobile devices or on computers. The preview includes the profile page, an example of the assessment itself, and an example of the individual report that will be provided at completion of the assessment.
Each preview also includes a digital copy of the user manual and resource guide for the specific instrument you are viewing. User manuals provide:
- a brief description of each metric being assessed by the instrument;
- a description of how to interpret both individual and group assessment results;
- a discussion of validity and reliability for the measures;
- all necessary information about administration of the assessment;
- many additional resources that we hope you will find useful for designing your assessment project.
Contact us to order a preview now, or receive your preview when you place your first order for assessments.