INSIGHT Health: Tools to Improve Critical Thinking
Critical Thinking in Healthcare and Education
Critical thinking in healthcare is not just for nurses and educators. It is an essential competency for doctors, pharmacists, physical therapists, occupational/physical therapists, dentists, physician assistants, allied health, and for practitioners in many other medical and Health Science fields.
Staffing is complex in health care settings; both a high quality patient facing staff and an effective business administration staff are essential. Different skills are needed for all the varying areas and levels of responsibility. However, each person in each job must have the thinking skills and motivation required to perform their responsibilities successfully. Critical thinking skills are equally necessary for all employees supporting patient services.
That’s why improving critical thinking is a priority throughout medical systems. A strong foundation of reasoning skills and a thinking mindset makes it possible to maintain well prepared teams at all levels of decision responsibility.
Building quality critical thinking in healthcare starts with assessing and developing skills in undergraduate students and in job candidates. It continues with ongoing training and professional education focused on improving necessary skills. Assessing participants at completion of educational and training programs provides evidence of achievement of goals. Quantify success and areas for improvement by evaluating training programs and curriculum against comparative percentiles.
Assessments for Health Professionals
High-stakes practice settings require critically important decisions every day. How can you build a health care team that is able to anticipate problem situations and make good judgments in challenging contexts? Start by using INSIGHT Health to prioritize strength in reasoning skills and mindset attributes when you hire and promote staff members in all departments.
Health care systems including hospitals, medical centers and medical schools use INSIGHT assessments for hiring and placement, for employee development initiatives and to build strong teams.
INSIGHT Health offers a complete array of customized, comprehensive solutions designed to test patient facing staff. Each INSIGHT assessment has been calibrated to measure and provide metrics for the professional work ethic and essential reasoning skills required for success at the targeted levels of responsibility. Each validated, research-based INSIGHT assessment provides data that predicts licensure, aids admissions and supports hiring.
Easy to administer, available online, individual and group results are sent within minutes of the completion of the assessment. Comparison percentile rankings for thinking skills set benchmarks for your program goals.
Tools to Improve Critical Thinking in Healthcare
Assessments for Patient Care Providers
- INSIGHT Health Professional: Highly skilled clinicians, medical professionals who make high stakes decisions about patient care.
- INSIGHT Health Staff: Skilled health care staff who perform key clinical functions
- Health Science Reasoning Test (HSRT): Undergraduate and graduate students in Health Science professional preparation programs
- Health Sciences Reasoning Test – Associate Degree (HSRT-AD) – Students in two year or certificate Health Sciences programs
Assessments for Senior Administration
- INSIGHT Executive: Business Leadership/ Senior Management: Senior executives, accountable for corporate strategy
Assessments for Medical Center Business Operations and Non-Patient Facing Staff
- INSIGHT Business Professional: Business Professionals: Middle level leadership, highly skilled staff members, with independent responsibilities
- INSIGHT Business Staff: Core staff: Permanent, experienced and trusted staff; may supervise, train and lead other members of their team; often have access to key technology or machinery
- INSIGHT Support: Support staff with well-defined operational support functions, duties or tasks; temporary, seasonal or highly supervised staff.
Assessments for Legal Departments
- INSIGHT Law Professional: lawyers and other legal professionals.
Critical Thinking Training and Development Program
- INSIGHT Development program: INSIGHT Development Program provides efficient, effective online training focusing on the 15 thinking skills & mindset attributes most needed in your organization. It can easily be integrated into your assessment and training processes. It offers a series of self-paced online thinking skills and mindset enrichment modules with accompanying exercises, access to an assessment metric and performance reporting tools.
Specialized needs? Contact us.
INSIGHT Assessment Solutions
The demonstration of competent clinical reasoning is widely mandated for the accreditation of professional training programs and for the oversight of health care delivery. INSIGHT Health provides a comprehensive assessment and training program.
Over the past few years our health care critical thinking products have become integral to the admission/assessment of students and working professionals in health science education programs and medical centers. We reach across all of the specialties. We supply our products throughout the Unites Stated and, increasingly, internationally. Many people are benefiting, and will continue to benefit, from our work.
Add the power of INSIGHT Health online reasoning skills assessments to your recruitment and training. Join our many long term clients who have transformed their health care service delivery teams into high performance reasoning and decision making units.
Call us today at 650-697-5628
INSIGHT Health is a member of the INSIGHT suite of thinking tests. INSIGHT Business provides the ability to objectively measure the decision skills and mindset in the non-clinical staff at all levels of your organization. INSIGHT Defense is calibrated to assess the essential leadership mindset and reasoning skills of officers and enlisted personnel. INSIGHT measures the thinking skills that will move your organization forward. INSIGHT Development Program is a proven suite of online thinking skills and mindset enrichment modules and assessment metrics that focuses on improving the quality of employee decision-making.
Contact us to create the INSIGHT solution that will strengthen your entire staff and your bottom line.
What is INSIGHT Health?
A solution to the medical industry’s challenge of making informed, data driven decisions when hiring, placing and developing the talent who can achieve strong operational performance and service ethic.
A suite of tests precisely based on how reasoning skills and mindsets are applied in health care businesses and patient care.
Created by the Insight Assessment research team and health professionals with same commitment to highest standards of measurement science, item reliability and test validation
Based on 30 years of Insight Assessment’s research on critical thinking measurement, questions are multidimensional and interrelated so that individual and group test results provide meaningful insights into specific critical thinking skills or specialized metrics applying to professional contexts
A comprehensive cost-effective full service process providing complete start to finish staff and candidate assessment.
Skilled customer service: testing specialists will help you match your assessment objectives and the staff or candidates you intend to test to the specific INSIGHT Health instrument that is calibrated to provide objective, valid assessments of strengths and weaknesses in reasoning
Security: Insight Assessment’s secure, encrypted online multilingual interface is available 24-7 for individual and group testing. Testing is available directly at your site or multiple sites, at test centers or to individuals.
Ease of administration: Insight Assessment can manage account set up and support, delivery of products through internal or external networks and test taker assignments.
Confidence: You’ll know that you are using scientifically based, proven objective test instruments that are widely used throughout the world by health care facilities, academic institutions and businesses to measure high stakes decision making
Data ready to support your decision making process, delivered quickly and confidentially.
Within minutes of the test completion, you can receive high quality INSIGHT individual reports providing detailed data about how individuals will perform when faced with new problems in high stakes and time-limited situations.
Reports include a measurement of the overall reasoning of the test taker and descriptions of performance on specific key aspects of decision making and how it impacts success.
There is no room for errors in the provision of health care service, management and operations. The costs are too high; it’s essential that your employees have the right reasoning skills for their job responsibilities. Contact us to discuss how INSIGHT Health can help you increase efficiency and quality.
What do you get?
Results you can use.
Easy to read, easy to use comprehensive metrics on the strengths and weaknesses of key aspects of decision making. Clear concise reports with understandable graphics and charts provide the reliable analysis you need for hiring, promoting and future planning. The multi-level scales on INSIGHT Health products have been rigorously calibrated to show how applicants apply their reasoning skills to job-related situations.
For each individual you will know:
Overall score: You will know if the total numeric score indicates superior, strong, moderate skills at this level– or if the skills were not manifested
Did the individual candidate demonstrate core reasoning skills in the required decision making domains? Reports explain each of the key aspects of decision making and how it impacts success. At a glance, you’ll see a qualitative rating (Superior, Strong skills, Moderate, or Not Manifested) for each skill or attribute.
INSIGHT assessments include two sets of evaluations; skills and mindset.
Within hours you will receive a comprehensive individual and/or group report. Individuals can see their results instantly upon completion or they will be sent to your authorized representative.
Options. You tell us what data you need:
Do you want to show your top performers?
Do you want group statistics, group graphics, ratings within assigned groups?
Do you want periodic reports summarizing results?
Do you want the individual to see or receive a copy of the report directly?
Do you want to benchmark your results against national norms?
Confidence in your results:
INSIGHT solutions are the culmination of Insight Assessment’s 30 years of experience in high stakes measurement of reasoning. Worldwide clients rely on our comprehensive range of assessment products to provide the data they need to make high stakes decisions about hiring, admissions, licensing, curriculum, program development and more.
Why wait? Distance yourself from your competition.
Superior Assessment and Training Services
Every step of our full-service process, from purchase and adoption through product delivery and reporting, has been designed to ensure that you get the solution you need.
For over 30 years we have been providing superior assessment solutions and training. We specialize in cost effective, full service solutions for measuring decision making skills and mindset attributes.
INSIGHT clients stay with us because they receive undeniable value for their assessment programs.
- Better Customer Service, More Customer Confidence in Results—personalized consultations on test selection and logistics through delivery and analysis of results.
- Ease of Use—Insight Assessment manages logins/passwords, assignments; all you need to do is tell us when and how many individuals you will be testing or training. Tech support is available 24/7.
- More Reliability, Less Effort and Risk for Your Staff—easy and efficient assessment data collection with our secure, encrypted, multilingual online interface, available 24-7, easily administered at single or multiple sites, at test centers, to groups & to individuals. INSIGHT assessments and training modules. INSIGHT Development Program online training modules are available on a secure exclusive website.
- More Metrics, Easier to Use—results delivered within minutes providing comprehensive analytical data on the strengths and weaknesses of test taker thought processes.
- More Well-Reasoned Decisions, Fewer Errors—prioritizing good thinking reduces poor problem analysis and missed opportunities, increasing performance and efficiency of individuals and teams.
- More Usable Data, Less File Filler—specific individual and group report data that is applicable for hiring, talent development, focused professional development initiatives, program evaluation.
- More Business Context, More Relevance—three dimensional scenarios and business situations are linked to specialized metrics which indicate the critical elements of reasoning required to function in corporate positions.
- More Accurate Data, Better Reports—measurements provided for Overall Thinking plus 15 core problem solving skills and mental disciplines that impact how decisions are made.
- More Options, Better Fit with Your Needs—test instruments calibrated for business, academic, health care, defense and legal organizations; available in more than 20 languages.
INSIGHT clients depend on us to manage the process from account setup and support to quick and confidential delivery of results
Contact us to get data that works for you.
Insight Assessment invites you to follow our blog, Thinking INSIGHT.
Improve patient outcomes with critical thinking skills
It’s easy to see why employers highly value critical thinking in healthcare. Healthcare delivery systems can no longer afford to be mistaken about best thinking. Error rates are already in question, difficult problems and decisions must be addressed, and poor judgments can lead to irreparable damage and even cost lives. Positive patient outcomes are improved when healthcare professionals bring strong critical thinking skills to their work.
Examples of the application of critical thinking in healthcare
- to accurately diagnose emergent conditions;
- to determine and evaluate therapeutic actions;
- to analyze and manage health risks;
- to hire and promote healthcare leaders;
- to design innovative clinical systems;
- to achieve goals of agency initiatives;
- to allocate resources;
- to anticipate and prevent errors;
- to use and manage information systems;
- to understand treatment implications;
- to develop data driving protocols;
- to anticipate the implications of actions taken;
- to analyze and resolve personnel issues;
- to explain policy & protocols; and
- to design and evaluate departmental reports.
This list of critical thinking in healthcare goes on almost indefinitely in high-stakes practice settings which require healthcare professionals to make critically important and time sensitive judgments.
Assessing critical thinking in healthcare professionals
Many healthcare centers assess critical thinking to improve clinical judgment skills and minimize errors. Objective critical thinking data becomes an essential component in their hiring and staff development programs.
Hospitals, medical centers and medical schools depend upon the Insight Assessment test instruments specifically calibrated to measure critical thinking in healthcare students and professionals.
- INSIGHT Health Professional: for healthcare professionals
- INSIGHT Health Staff for clinical support staff
- Health Sciences Reasoning Test (HSRT) for health science students
- HSRT- Associate Degree (HSRT-AD). for students in 2 year health science programs
Our clients value the high quality, appropriately normed data from the test instruments; the ability to coordinate testing from multiple sites; and the option of working with our technical staff to optimize their testing programs.
Insight Development Program provides efficient, effective self-instructional modules for professional and clinical success. The program reinforces strengths and provides growth opportunities in key 15 key critical thinking skills and mindset attributes.
Strong critical thinking in healthcare professionals and delivery is not optional. It is possible to identify and develop candidates who can demonstrate excellence in professional judgment, sound use of critical thinking skills and the reliable disposition to use these talents.