INSIGHT Health: Tools to Improve Critical Thinking
Critical Thinking Should be an Integral Part of Your Healthcare Culture
Critical thinking in healthcare is not just for nurses and nursing school applicants. It is an indispensable competency for medical practitioners and allied health professionals; this includes physicians, surgeons, dentists and pharmacists to dental hygienists, diagnostic medical sonographers, dietitians, caseworkers, social workers, occupational therapists, physical therapists, radiographers, respiratory therapists, medical technicians, speech-language pathologists, and many others.
Critical thinking is a requisite skill for health care, as recognized by professional associations, in multiple medical disciplines, based on scientific evidence and research.
Staffing is a complex endeavor in healthcare. Both a high-quality patient-facing and administrative staff is vital. While there are different areas of expertise, everyone, whatever their job or level of responsibility, must have the capability and motivation required for solving problems and decision-making. Critical thinking skills and a lifelong learning mindset (which supports critical thinking through the willingness to adapt as new information and best practices evolve), are equally necessary to deliver the best patient care.
That’s why critical thinking is a priority throughout many medical institutions. A strong foundation of reasoning skills and enthusiasm for learning makes it possible to maintain well-prepared teams, at all levels of a healthcare organization.
Assessments for Health Professionals
High-stakes practice settings require critically important decisions being made every day. Seeking to assemble a health care team able to anticipate problem, avert errors and make good judgments in challenging contexts? Use INSIGHT Health to prioritize strength in critical thinking and lifelong learning mindset attributes when you hire and promote staff members in all departments.
Health care systems including hospitals, clinics, medical centers, and medical schools utilize INSIGHT assessments for hiring and placement, for employee development initiatives and building strong teams.
INSIGHT Health offers a complete array of comprehensive solutions designed to test patient-facing and business staff. INSIGHT assessments have been calibrated to measure and provide metrics for the professional work ethic and crucial reasoning skills required for success, at different levels of responsibility. Each validated, research-based INSIGHT assessment provides data that predicts licensure, aids admissions, and supports hiring.
Easy to administer, available online, individual and group results are sent within minutes of the completion of the assessment.
Tools to Improve Critical Thinking in Healthcare
Assessments for Patient Care Providers
- INSIGHT Health Professional: Highly skilled clinicians and medical professionals who make high-stakes decisions about patient care,
- INSIGHT Health Staff: Skilled health care staff who perform key clinical functions,
- Health Science Reasoning Test (HSRT): Undergraduate and graduate students in Health Science professional preparation programs,
- Health Sciences Reasoning Test – Associate Degree (HSRT-AD) – Students in two year or certificate Health Sciences programs.
Assessments for Senior Administration
- INSIGHT Executive: Business leadership, management, and executives, accountable for corporate strategy.
Assessments for Medical Center Business Operations and Non-Patient Facing Staff
- INSIGHT Business Professional: Mid-level leadership, highly skilled staff members, with independent responsibilities.
- INSIGHT Business Staff: Permanent, experienced and trusted core staff; may supervise, train and lead other members of their team; often operating key technology or machinery.
- INSIGHT Support: Staff with well-defined operational support functions, duties, or tasks such as clerical, dietary and housekeeping; also includes temporary, seasonal, or highly supervised staff.
Assessments for Legal Departments
- INSIGHT Law Professional: On-site lawyers and other legal professionals.
Specialized needs? Contact us.
INSIGHT Assessment Turnkey Solutions
The demonstration of competent clinical reasoning is widely mandated for the accreditation of professional training programs and for the oversight of health care delivery. INSIGHT Health provides a comprehensive assessment and training program.
For the past decade, INSIGHT Health has become integral to the admission/assessment of students and working professionals in health science education programs and medical centers. Our products are supplied throughout the United States and, increasingly, internationally, in all medical specialties, helping to achieve better outcomes. You need a workforce able to perform to your practice standards and professional guidelines, able to advance care and minimize harm.
Add the power of INSIGHT Health online reasoning skills assessments to your recruitment. Join our many long-term clients who have transformed their health care service delivery teams into ones capable of high-performance reasoning and decision-making.
Creating an environment that fosters critical thinking in healthcare starts with assessing the critical thinking and lifelong learning of undergraduate students and job candidates. It continues with ongoing training and professional development through the INSIGHT Development Program (IDP) focused on improving these necessary skills and attributes.
INSIGHT Development Program provides efficient, effective, online training focusing on the thinking skills & mindset attributes most needed in your organization. It can easily be integrated into your current assessment and training processes. It offers a series of self-directed online critical thinking skills and lifelong learning mindset enrichment modules with accompanying exercises, assessment metric access, and performance reporting tools.
Insight Assessment offers the tools and resources that you require to improve the quality of practice, throughout an healthcare organization.
Call us today at 650-697-5628.
INSIGHT Health Reports
Get the reliable data needed for hiring, promoting and future planning
INSIGHT Health solutions feature customized professional assessments and comprehensive metrics on the strengths and weaknesses of 15 key aspects of decision making. Clear concise reports include graphics and charts to provide objective, relevant individual and group analytics. The multi-level scales on INSIGHT Health products have been rigorously calibrated to show how applicants apply their reasoning skills in clinical and professional practice contexts.
Purchase of INSIGHT assessments includes our Users Guide which includes a information on how to optimally interpret Insight Assessment results reports.
INDIVIDUAL REPORTS document strengths and areas for growth
For each individual you will know:
- Overall score: You will know if the total numeric score indicates superior, strong, moderate skills at this level– or if the skills were not manifested.
- Did the individual candidate demonstrate core reasoning skills in the required decision making domains? Reports explain each of the key aspects of decision making and how it impacts success. At a glance, you’ll see a qualitative rating (Superior, Strong skills, Moderate, or Not Manifested) for each skill or attribute.
- Numerical scores and recommended performance assessments reflect the extent to which the person being assessed manifested a given skill or attribute. The recommended performance assessments (qualitative scores) reported are always relative to the level of the INSIGHT Health assessment instrument.
GROUP REPORTS for team assessment, ranking candidates, talent identification
- Group reports display aggregated statistics and bar-charts on each INSIGHT metric. These reports have many uses including guiding employee development initiatives over time, comparing different groups engaged in similar tasks at a given organizational level or aiding in the establishment of threshold skill levels to qualify candidates for interviews.
Critical thinking skills and mindset evaluated
INSIGHT Health assessments include two sets of evaluations; skills and mindset. Section 1 assesses 10 aspects of the business employee mindset. Section 2 assesses 5 decision making skills plus an overall numeric score.
Contact us to see a sample group report.
Within hours you will receive a comprehensive individual and/or group report. Individuals can see their results instantly upon completion or they will be sent to your authorized representative.
Options. You tell us what data you need:
- Do you want to show your top performers?
- Do you want group statistics, group graphics, ratings within assigned groups?
- Do you want periodic reports summarizing results?
- Do you want the individual to see or receive a copy of the report directly?
- Do you want to benchmark your results against national norms?
Confidence in your results
INSIGHT solutions are the culmination of Insight Assessment’s 30+ years of experience in high stakes measurement of reasoning. Worldwide clients rely on our comprehensive range of assessment products to provide the data they need to make high stakes decisions about hiring, admissions, licensing, curriculum, program development and more.
Why wait? Health care organizations must be confident they are developing a high performing clinical staff.
Call us at 650-697-5628 or contact us today . We can get you started in 24 hours.
Superior Assessment and Training Services
Every step of our full-service process, from purchase and adoption through product delivery and reporting, has been designed to ensure that you get the solution you need.
For over 30 years we have been providing superior assessment solutions and training. We specialize in cost effective, full service solutions for measuring decision making skills and mindset attributes.
INSIGHT clients stay with us because they receive undeniable value for their assessment programs.
- Better Customer Service, More Customer Confidence in Results—personalized consultations on test selection and logistics through delivery and analysis of results.
- HR Friendly Support—assistance is provided to assist in the integration of the assessment and improvement of thinking skills and mindset into HR procedures.
- Ease of Use—Insight Assessment manages logins/passwords, assignments; all you need to do is tell us when and how many individuals you will be testing or training. Tech support is available 24/7.
- More Reliability, Less Effort and Risk for Your Staff—Secure online testing is available 24x7x365 with our multilingual delivery options. Our online system provides the option of taking our assessments and training on virtually any device. The online test-taker interface is easy to use, data encrypted and flexible..
- More Metrics, Easier to Use—results delivered within minutes providing comprehensive analytical data on the strengths and weaknesses of test taker thought processes.
- More Well-Reasoned Decisions, Fewer Errors—prioritizing good thinking reduces poor problem analysis and missed opportunities, increasing performance and efficiency of individuals and teams.
- Validated, Objective Data, Less File Filler—specific individual and group report data that is applicable for hiring, talent development, focused professional development initiatives, program evaluation.
- More Business Context, More Relevance—three dimensional scenarios and business situations are linked to specialized metrics which indicate the critical elements of reasoning required to function in corporate positions.
- More Accurate Data, Better Reports—measurements provided for Overall Thinking plus 15 core problem solving skills and mental disciplines that impact how decisions are made.
- More Options, Better Fit with Your Needs—test instruments calibrated for business, academic, health care, defense and legal organizations; available in more than 20 languages.
INSIGHT clients depend on us to manage the process from account setup and support to quick and confidential delivery of results
Call us at 650-697-5628 or contact us to get data that works for you.
Insight Assessment invites you to follow our blog, Thinking INSIGHT.
Improve patient outcomes with critical thinking skills
It’s easy to see why employers highly value critical thinking in healthcare. Healthcare delivery systems can no longer afford to be mistaken about best thinking. Error rates are already in question, difficult problems and decisions must be addressed, and poor judgments can lead to irreparable damage and even cost lives. Positive patient outcomes are improved when healthcare professionals bring strong critical thinking skills to their work.
Examples of the application of critical thinking in healthcare
- to accurately diagnose emergent conditions;
- to determine and evaluate therapeutic actions;
- to analyze and manage health risks;
- to hire and promote healthcare leaders;
- to design innovative clinical systems;
- to achieve goals of agency initiatives;
- to allocate resources;
- to anticipate and prevent errors;
- to use and manage information systems;
- to understand treatment implications;
- to develop data driving protocols;
- to anticipate the implications of actions taken;
- to analyze and resolve personnel issues;
- to explain policy & protocols; and
- to design and evaluate departmental reports.
This list of critical thinking in healthcare goes on almost indefinitely in high-stakes practice settings which require healthcare professionals to make critically important and time sensitive judgments.
Assessing critical thinking in healthcare professionals
Many healthcare centers assess critical thinking to improve clinical judgment skills and minimize errors. Objective critical thinking data becomes an essential component in their hiring and staff development programs.
Hospitals, medical centers and medical schools depend upon the Insight Assessment test instruments specifically calibrated to measure critical thinking in healthcare students and professionals.
- INSIGHT Health Professional: for healthcare professionals
- INSIGHT Health Staff for clinical support staff
- Health Sciences Reasoning Test (HSRT) for health science students
- HSRT- Associate Degree (HSRT-AD). for students in 2 year health science programs
Our clients value the high quality, appropriately normed data from the test instruments; the ability to coordinate testing from multiple sites; and the option of working with our technical staff to optimize their testing programs.
Insight Development Program provides efficient, effective self-instructional modules for professional and clinical success. The program reinforces strengths and provides growth opportunities in key 15 key critical thinking skills and mindset attributes.
Strong critical thinking in healthcare professionals and delivery is not optional. It is possible to identify and develop candidates who can demonstrate excellence in professional judgment, sound use of critical thinking skills and the reliable disposition to use these talents.