INSIGHT Health: Tools to Improve Critical Thinking
Critical Thinking in Healthcare and Education
Critical thinking in healthcare is not just for nurses and educators. It is an essential competency for doctors, pharmacists, physical therapists, occupational/physical therapists, dentists, physician assistants, allied health, and for practitioners in many other medical and Health Science fields.
Staffing is complex in health care settings; both a high quality patient facing staff and an effective business administration staff are essential. Different skills are needed for all the varying areas and levels of responsibility. However, each person in each job must have the thinking skills and motivation required to perform their responsibilities successfully. Critical thinking skills are equally necessary for all employees supporting patient services.
That’s why improving critical thinking is a priority throughout medical systems. A strong foundation of reasoning skills and a thinking mindset makes it possible to maintain well prepared teams at all levels of decision responsibility.
Building quality critical thinking in healthcare starts with assessing and developing skills in undergraduate students and in job candidates. It continues with ongoing training and professional education focused on improving necessary skills. Assessing participants at completion of educational and training programs provides evidence of achievement of goals. Quantify success and areas for improvement by evaluating training programs and curriculum against comparative percentiles.
Assessments for Health Professionals
High-stakes practice settings require critically important decisions every day. How can you build a health care team that is able to anticipate problem situations and make good judgments in challenging contexts? Start by using INSIGHT Health to prioritize strength in reasoning skills and mindset attributes when you hire and promote staff members in all departments.
Health care systems including hospitals, medical centers and medical schools use INSIGHT assessments for hiring and placement, for employee development initiatives and to build strong teams.
INSIGHT Health offers a complete array of customized, comprehensive solutions designed to test patient facing staff. Each INSIGHT assessment has been calibrated to measure and provide metrics for the professional work ethic and essential reasoning skills required for success at the targeted levels of responsibility. Each validated, research-based INSIGHT assessment provides data that predicts licensure, aids admissions and supports hiring.
Easy to administer, available online, individual and group results are sent within minutes of the completion of the assessment. Comparison percentile rankings for thinking skills set benchmarks for your program goals.
Tools to Improve Critical Thinking in Healthcare
Assessments for Patient Care Providers
- INSIGHT Health Professional: Highly skilled clinicians, medical professionals who make high stakes decisions about patient care.
- INSIGHT Health Staff: Skilled health care staff who perform key clinical functions
- Health Science Reasoning Test (HSRT): Undergraduate and graduate students in Health Science professional preparation programs
- Health Sciences Reasoning Test – Associate Degree (HSRT-AD) – Students in two year or certificate Health Sciences programs
Assessments for Senior Administration
- INSIGHT Executive: Business Leadership/ Senior Management: Senior executives, accountable for corporate strategy
Assessments for Medical Center Business Operations and Non-Patient Facing Staff
- INSIGHT Business Professional: Business Professionals: Middle level leadership, highly skilled staff members, with independent responsibilities
- INSIGHT Business Staff: Core staff: Permanent, experienced and trusted staff; may supervise, train and lead other members of their team; often have access to key technology or machinery
- INSIGHT Support: Support staff with well-defined operational support functions, duties or tasks; temporary, seasonal or highly supervised staff.
Assessments for Legal Departments
- INSIGHT Law Professional: lawyers and other legal professionals.
Critical Thinking Training and Development Program
- INSIGHT Development program: INSIGHT Development Program provides efficient, effective online training focusing on the 15 thinking skills & mindset attributes most needed in your organization. It can easily be integrated into your assessment and training processes. It offers a series of self-paced online thinking skills and mindset enrichment modules with accompanying exercises, access to an assessment metric and performance reporting tools.
Specialized needs? Contact us.
INSIGHT Assessment Solutions
The demonstration of competent clinical reasoning is widely mandated for the accreditation of professional training programs and for the oversight of health care delivery. INSIGHT Health provides a comprehensive assessment and training program.
Over the past few years our health care critical thinking products have become integral to the admission/assessment of students and working professionals in health science education programs and medical centers. We reach across all of the specialties. We supply our products throughout the Unites Stated and, increasingly, internationally. Many people are benefiting, and will continue to benefit, from our work.
Add the power of INSIGHT Health online reasoning skills assessments to your recruitment and training. Join our many long term clients who have transformed their health care service delivery teams into high performance reasoning and decision making units.
Call us today at 650-697-5628
INSIGHT Health Reports
Get the reliable data needed for hiring, promoting and future planning
INSIGHT Health solutions feature customized professional assessments and comprehensive metrics on the strengths and weaknesses of 15 key aspects of decision making. Clear concise reports include graphics and charts to provide objective, relevant individual and group analytics. The multi-level scales on INSIGHT Health products have been rigorously calibrated to show how applicants apply their reasoning skills in clinical and professional practice contexts.
Purchase of INSIGHT assessments includes our Users Guide which includes a information on how to optimally interpret Insight Assessment results reports.
INDIVIDUAL REPORTS document strengths and areas for growth
For each individual you will know:
- Overall score: You will know if the total numeric score indicates superior, strong, moderate skills at this level– or if the skills were not manifested.
- Did the individual candidate demonstrate core reasoning skills in the required decision making domains? Reports explain each of the key aspects of decision making and how it impacts success. At a glance, you’ll see a qualitative rating (Superior, Strong skills, Moderate, or Not Manifested) for each skill or attribute.
- Numerical scores and recommended performance assessments reflect the extent to which the person being assessed manifested a given skill or attribute. The recommended performance assessments (qualitative scores) reported are always relative to the level of the INSIGHT Health assessment instrument.
GROUP REPORTS for team assessment, ranking candidates, talent identification
- Group reports display aggregated statistics and bar-charts on each INSIGHT metric. These reports have many uses including guiding employee development initiatives over time, comparing different groups engaged in similar tasks at a given organizational level or aiding in the establishment of threshold skill levels to qualify candidates for interviews.
Critical thinking skills and mindset evaluated
INSIGHT Health assessments include two sets of evaluations; skills and mindset. Section 1 assesses 10 aspects of the business employee mindset. Section 2 assesses 5 decision making skills plus an overall numeric score.
Contact us to see a sample group report.
Within hours you will receive a comprehensive individual and/or group report. Individuals can see their results instantly upon completion or they will be sent to your authorized representative.
Options. You tell us what data you need:
- Do you want to show your top performers?
- Do you want group statistics, group graphics, ratings within assigned groups?
- Do you want periodic reports summarizing results?
- Do you want the individual to see or receive a copy of the report directly?
- Do you want to benchmark your results against national norms?
Confidence in your results
INSIGHT solutions are the culmination of Insight Assessment’s 30+ years of experience in high stakes measurement of reasoning. Worldwide clients rely on our comprehensive range of assessment products to provide the data they need to make high stakes decisions about hiring, admissions, licensing, curriculum, program development and more.
Why wait? Health care organizations must be confident they are developing a high performing clinical staff.
Call us at 650-697-5628 or contact us today . We can get you started in 24 hours.
Superior Assessment and Training Services
Every step of our full-service process, from purchase and adoption through product delivery and reporting, has been designed to ensure that you get the solution you need.
For over 30 years we have been providing superior assessment solutions and training. We specialize in cost effective, full service solutions for measuring decision making skills and mindset attributes.
INSIGHT clients stay with us because they receive undeniable value for their assessment programs.
- Better Customer Service, More Customer Confidence in Results—personalized consultations on test selection and logistics through delivery and analysis of results.
- Ease of Use—Insight Assessment manages logins/passwords, assignments; all you need to do is tell us when and how many individuals you will be testing or training. Tech support is available 24/7.
- More Reliability, Less Effort and Risk for Your Staff—easy and efficient assessment data collection with our secure, encrypted, multilingual online interface, available 24-7, easily administered at single or multiple sites, at test centers, to groups & to individuals. INSIGHT assessments and training modules. INSIGHT Development Program online training modules are available on a secure exclusive website.
- More Metrics, Easier to Use—results delivered within minutes providing comprehensive analytical data on the strengths and weaknesses of test taker thought processes.
- More Well-Reasoned Decisions, Fewer Errors—prioritizing good thinking reduces poor problem analysis and missed opportunities, increasing performance and efficiency of individuals and teams.
- More Usable Data, Less File Filler—specific individual and group report data that is applicable for hiring, talent development, focused professional development initiatives, program evaluation.
- More Business Context, More Relevance—three dimensional scenarios and business situations are linked to specialized metrics which indicate the critical elements of reasoning required to function in corporate positions.
- More Accurate Data, Better Reports—measurements provided for Overall Thinking plus 15 core problem solving skills and mental disciplines that impact how decisions are made.
- More Options, Better Fit with Your Needs—test instruments calibrated for business, academic, health care, defense and legal organizations; available in more than 20 languages.
INSIGHT clients depend on us to manage the process from account setup and support to quick and confidential delivery of results
Contact us to get data that works for you.
Insight Assessment invites you to follow our blog, Thinking INSIGHT.
Improve patient outcomes with critical thinking skills
It’s easy to see why employers highly value critical thinking in healthcare. Healthcare delivery systems can no longer afford to be mistaken about best thinking. Error rates are already in question, difficult problems and decisions must be addressed, and poor judgments can lead to irreparable damage and even cost lives. Positive patient outcomes are improved when healthcare professionals bring strong critical thinking skills to their work.
Examples of the application of critical thinking in healthcare
- to accurately diagnose emergent conditions;
- to determine and evaluate therapeutic actions;
- to analyze and manage health risks;
- to hire and promote healthcare leaders;
- to design innovative clinical systems;
- to achieve goals of agency initiatives;
- to allocate resources;
- to anticipate and prevent errors;
- to use and manage information systems;
- to understand treatment implications;
- to develop data driving protocols;
- to anticipate the implications of actions taken;
- to analyze and resolve personnel issues;
- to explain policy & protocols; and
- to design and evaluate departmental reports.
This list of critical thinking in healthcare goes on almost indefinitely in high-stakes practice settings which require healthcare professionals to make critically important and time sensitive judgments.
Assessing critical thinking in healthcare professionals
Many healthcare centers assess critical thinking to improve clinical judgment skills and minimize errors. Objective critical thinking data becomes an essential component in their hiring and staff development programs.
Hospitals, medical centers and medical schools depend upon the Insight Assessment test instruments specifically calibrated to measure critical thinking in healthcare students and professionals.
- INSIGHT Health Professional: for healthcare professionals
- INSIGHT Health Staff for clinical support staff
- Health Sciences Reasoning Test (HSRT) for health science students
- HSRT- Associate Degree (HSRT-AD). for students in 2 year health science programs
Our clients value the high quality, appropriately normed data from the test instruments; the ability to coordinate testing from multiple sites; and the option of working with our technical staff to optimize their testing programs.
Insight Development Program provides efficient, effective self-instructional modules for professional and clinical success. The program reinforces strengths and provides growth opportunities in key 15 key critical thinking skills and mindset attributes.
Strong critical thinking in healthcare professionals and delivery is not optional. It is possible to identify and develop candidates who can demonstrate excellence in professional judgment, sound use of critical thinking skills and the reliable disposition to use these talents.