INSIGHT First Responder
What Does it Take to be a First Responder?
Start with strong thinking skills.
First Responders must be able be capable of fast accurate analysis, sound reasoning and excellent decision making.
Critical Thinking Is Essential in an Emergency
When safety and security are the goal, critical thinking skills and clear mindsets are non-negotiable. First response, public safety and security professionals must always be prepared to anticipate and react to threats or opportunities. The challenges of working in these rapidly changing and complex fields require the ability to think critically and act quickly in response to any unexpected situation in a professional, disciplined and objective manner.
Recruit, Hire and Promote First Responders, Public Safety and Security Personnel
It is possible to identify first responders and safety service professionals with the essential positive thinking mindset attributes and strong critical thinking skills needed to be effective in complex unexpected situations.
Developed in consultation with industry leaders, INSIGHT First Responder has been calibrated to objectively measure the mindset attributes and critical thinking skills that motivate and enable emergency personnel to carry out their duties to aid, serve, rescue or protect.
Clients using INSIGHT First Responder find immediate value from their initiatives to strengthen thinking skills and mindset in new hires or current hires. Our comprehensive individual reports provide relevant, actionable data to:
- Objectively screen skills and mindset of candidates to identify the candidates with the greatest potential to succeed
- Proactively identify individual and team areas of strength and areas for improvement to focus employee development programs
- Quantify performance potential and determine an individual’s fit for future roles and leadership
INSIGHT First Responder is a complete solution. Our app based assessment tools are easily administered 24/7 via our secure, encrypted, online, multi-lingual interface over all major platforms while offering a single simple interface to mobile, or non-mobile users. An in-app tutorial makes it simple to administer the assessment.
Assess Essential Skills for First Responders
- First responders like firefighters, police officers and emergency medical technicians must perform effectively even in crisis situations that may be dangerous and chaotic. The most successful first responders will be calm under pressure, agentic, inventive, foresightful, organized, unbiased, and courageous. To determine whether a person manifests these important attributes INSIGHT First Responder surveys the person’s beliefs and attitudes. The person’s responses are gathered, sorted, and scored to produce a profile of the thinking mindset with which the person approaches problem solving and decision making. Each mindset attribute is then characterized as not-manifested, positive, or strongly positive.
- Time Allowed: 30 minutes
- Format: short “agree-disagree” style items
- First responders must rely on their thinking skill to make quick and effective decisions about what to do in emergency situations. Their knowledge must be up to date, their performance well practiced, and their thinking must be sound and logical. INSIGHT First Responder provides an assessment of overall strength of their thinking skills. Using workplace related first responder scenarios, questions on the skills portion of the INSIGHT First Responder challenge test takers to apply their thinking skills. The scenarios provide the context and the vital information needed to reason to the best option. The skills evaluated, in addition to an overall rating, are specific skills in analyzing situations, determining impacts, projecting outcomes, evaluating options, and explaining reasons.
- Time Allowed: 55 minutes
- Format: scenario based multiple choice questions requiring application of the core problem solving skills associated with professional level reasoning.
Contact us today to discuss the benefits of using cost-effective INSIGHT First Responder to pre screen candidates for strong problem solving and decision making skills and mindset.
INSIGHT First Responder is one of the professional domain specific members of the INSIGHT suite of professional thinking tests. INSIGHT assessments are tailored for Business, Health, Educators, Defense, First Responder, Government/Law and Science/Engineering. INSIGHT assesses decision-making skills and thinking mindset attributes in potential hires and employees at all levels of your organization.
Identify individuals who have the positive thinking mindset and strong critical thinking skill set needed to be effective in complex unexpected situations
The metrics reported on INSIGHT First Responder have been calibrated to measure professional mindset and problem solving skills. Based on responses, we identify how decisions were made and measure the application of reasoning skills and mindset attributes. Strengths and weaknesses are clearly reported for each following key aspects:
First Responder Mindset Attributes
Calm under Pressure
A responder who is calm under pressure displays confidence, strength, and focus in fulfilling duties. Higher scores indicate a person who does not allow themselves to become distracted or to panic when events are chaotic or efforts are not producing the intended results.
Agentic responders take responsibility for timely actions to address problems. Higher scores indicate someone who is willing to assume responsibility, to step in and take charge, or to carry out the directives of those in authority if that is what is needed.
An inventive person is driven to respond to emergent events by any means necessary. Higher scores indicate an expectation of personal creativity, resourcefulness, and self-reliance regarding accomplishing goals.
Foresightful – First Responder
The foresightful responder is alert to potential difficulties and strives to foresee consequences. Higher scores indicate someone who strives to anticipate potential difficulties and expects to use reasoning and fact-finding to resolve difficulties.
The organized responder takes a systematic approach to problem solving. Higher scores indicate someone who is persistent, orderly, and comprehensive in working through problems.
A team-oriented individual strives to do whatever they can to bring about the success of the team and its mission. Higher scores indicate a person who puts the good of the team ahead of personal gain or recognition.
Unbiased professionals have no hesitation in coming to the assistance of people who are different than themselves. High scores indicate someone who is not deterred from working with anyone due to the age, gender, race, nationality, religion, political opinions, lifestyle, or social class of those in need.
Courageous responders bravely run to give aid and fulfill their duties. Higher scores indicate a person who acts fearlessly in the face of danger, someone who is willing to risk personal harm in order to serve and protect.
First Responder Reasoning Skills
Analyzing situation involves examining circumstances, statements, and events to identify risks and priorities. Higher scores indicate a person who can identify relevant information, grasp its meaning, and pick out the most important facts, issues, and concerns.
Determining impacts means precisely inferring the exact consequences that are implied by a given set of facts, policies, or circumstances. Higher scores indicate a person who thinks with logical and numerical precision.
Evaluating options includes assessing which results, choices, claims, opinions, values, or approaches are better than others in a given context. Higher scores indicate a person who can estimate the value of different possibilities and decide which choices are preferable.
Explaining reasons requires giving a fair-minded account of the reasons and evidence which support a given decision or conclusion. Higher scores indicate a person who can provide sound basis for what they have decided to believe or to do.
Overall First Responder Reasoning Skills
The OVERALL metric on the INSIGHT First Responder Reasoning Skills test represents the integration of the thinking and reasoning skills needed to address problems and to make decisions associated with being effective as a first responder, or public safety or security officer.
Measure the reasoning skills and mindset attributes that characterize effective First Responders
What do you get?
Relevant, easy to read, easy to use results.
All INSIGHT solutions feature customized professional assessments and comprehensive metrics on the strengths and weaknesses of 15 key aspects of decision making.
Employee assessments include INSIGHT Business, INSIGHT Health, INSIGHT Law, INSIGHT First Responder, INSIGHT Defense, INSIGHT Educator and INSIGHT Science and Engineering. INSIGHT Development Program includes access to an assessment metric and performance reporting tools.
Clear concise reports provide the reliable data analysis you need for hiring, promoting, training and future planning.
INDIVIDUAL REPORTS document strengths and areas for growth
For each individual you will know:
- Overall score: You will know if the total numeric score indicates Superior, Strong, Moderate skills at this level– or if the skills were Not Manifested.
- Did the individual candidate demonstrate core critical thinking skills in the required decision-making domains? Reports explain each of the key aspects of decision making and how it impacts success. At a glance, you’ll see a qualitative rating (Superior, Strong skills, Moderate, or Not Manifested) for each skill or attribute.
- Numerical scores and recommended performance assessments reflect the extent to which the person being assessed manifested a given skill or attribute. The recommended performance assessments (qualitative scores) reported are always relative to the level of the INSIGHT assessment instrument: Executive, Professional, Staff or Support.
GROUP REPORTS for team assessment, ranking candidates, talent identification
- Group reports display aggregated statistics and bar-charts on each INSIGHT metric. These reports have many uses including guiding employee development initiatives over time, comparing different groups engaged in similar tasks at a given organizational level or aiding in the establishment of threshold skill levels to qualify candidates for interviews.
Critical Thinking skills and mindset evaluated
- INSIGHT assessments include two sets of evaluations; Section 1 assesses 10 aspects of the business employee mindset. Section 2 assesses 5 decision making skills plus the overall numeric score. The multi-level scales on INSIGHT products have been rigorously calibrated to show how applicants apply their reasoning skills to job-related situations.
- INSIGHT assessments are available whenever needed 24/7. Upon completion of the assessment, we can have results sent directly to you or your authorized representative.
Options. You tell us what data you need:
- Do you want to show your top performers?
- Do you want group statistics, group graphics, ratings within assigned groups?
- Do you want periodic reports summarizing results?
- Do you want the individual to see or receive a copy of the report directly?
- Do you want to benchmark your results against national norms?
Confidence in your results: proven, validated, used worldwide
INSIGHT is the culmination of Insight Assessment’s 30 years of experience in high impact measurement of reasoning. Worldwide clients rely on our comprehensive range of assessment products to provide the data they need to make important objective decisions about hiring, admissions, licensing, curriculum, program development and more.
Why wait? Distance yourself from your competition. Contact us today. We can get you started in 24 hours.
Superior Assessment and Training Services
Every step of our full-service process, from purchase and adoption through product delivery and reporting, has been designed to ensure that you get the solution you need.
For over 30 years we have been providing superior assessment solutions and training. We specialize in cost effective, full service solutions for measuring decision making skills and mindset attributes.
INSIGHT clients stay with us because they receive undeniable value for their assessment programs.
- Better Customer Service, More Customer Confidence in Results—personalized consultations on test selection and logistics through delivery and analysis of results.
- Ease of Use—Insight Assessment manages logins/passwords, assignments; all you need to do is tell us when and how many individuals you will be testing or training. Tech support is available 24/7.
- More Reliability, Less Effort and Risk for Your Staff—easy and efficient assessment data collection with our secure, encrypted, multilingual online interface, available 24-7, easily administered at single or multiple sites, at test centers, to groups & to individuals. INSIGHT assessments and training modules. INSIGHT Development Program online training modules are available on a secure exclusive website.
- More Metrics, Easier to Use—results delivered within minutes providing comprehensive analytical data on the strengths and weaknesses of test taker thought processes.
- More Well-Reasoned Decisions, Fewer Errors—prioritizing good thinking reduces poor problem analysis and missed opportunities, increasing performance and efficiency of individuals and teams.
- More Usable Data, Less File Filler—specific individual and group report data that is applicable for hiring, talent development, focused professional development initiatives, program evaluation.
- More Business Context, More Relevance—three dimensional scenarios and business situations are linked to specialized metrics which indicate the critical elements of reasoning required to function in corporate positions.
- More Accurate Data, Better Reports—measurements provided for Overall Thinking plus 15 core problem solving skills and mental disciplines that impact how decisions are made.
- More Options, Better Fit with Your Needs—test instruments calibrated for business, academic, health care, defense and legal organizations; available in more than 20 languages.
INSIGHT clients depend on us to manage the process from account setup and support to quick and confidential delivery of results
Contact us to get data that works for you.
Insight Assessment invites you to follow our blog, Thinking INSIGHT.
As a qualified purchaser, we offer the option of purchasing a preview of the assessment experience.
A preview provides you with one or more opportunities to view and experience the assessment from the perspective of the individual being assessed and to see the reporting options.
Your account representative will set up your preview of the instrument on mobile devices or on computers. The preview includes the profile page, an example of the assessment itself, and an example of the individual report that will be provided at completion of the assessment.
Each preview also includes a digital copy of the user manual and resource guide for the specific instrument you are viewing. User manuals provide:
- a brief description of each metric being assessed by the instrument;
- a description of how to interpret both individual and group assessment results;
- a discussion of validity and reliability for the measures;
- all necessary information about administration of the assessment;
- many additional resources that we hope you will find useful for designing your assessment project.
Contact us to order a preview now, or receive your preview when you place your first order for assessments.