Insight Assessment was established as The California Academic Press in 1986 by Dr. Peter A. Facione
He led the Delphi Research Project which resulted in an international expert consensus definition of the term “critical thinking.” He has demonstrated empirically that the core cognitive skills and dispositional habits of mind of critical thinking could be assessed, taught, and learned.
In 1990, The California Academic Press published its first critical thinking skills test
In 1992, we published the world’s first assessment of critical thinking dispositions.
Since that time research has continued on the development of a broader array of reasoning assessment tools and on expanding what is known about critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making. The focus of this research has been on integrating humanistic and scientific approaches with the expressed purpose of achieving practical gains.
The aim is to assist people in becoming better thinkers by knowing how thinking works, how improvements in thinking can be learned, how mistakes in thinking can be identified and avoided, and how one can use meta-cognition as well as objective assessment information to improve one’s own thinking.
- In 1992, Dr. Facione published his influential essay about the meaning and importance of critical thinking, Critical Thinking: What It Is and Why It Counts.
- In the 1990s the core CCTST and CCTDI were adopted by thousands of customers domestically and around the world driving the company to focus on quality culturally accurate translations.
- In 2003, Insight Assessment was created as a wholly owned subsidiary of the California Academic Press to distribute industry specific tools to businesses, universities, schools and government agencies to better serve a growing customer base. With its superior technology and internationally respected testing instruments, today Insight Assessment is the world leader in reasoning skills and thinking mindset assessment.
- In 2012, Insight Assessment launched the INSIGHT series, specifically calibrated for corporate environments.
- 2013. In order to better serve our customers, we moved our headquarters to larger offices in San Jose, California.
- In 2016, we added app based test administration to our browser and paper solutions. Test takers were able to access our test instruments via smart devices as well as desktops.
- In 2018, we released INSIGHT Development Program, comprehensive online, self-study program focused on one of the most vital workplace skills: critical thinking.
Today our products are used to help our clients in 60+ countries in 20+ languages to improve thinking, decision making and reasoning within their institutions and corporations.
First, as The California Academic Press and now as Insight Assessment, we proudly offer the world class instruments to measure those core critical thinking skills and habits of mind essential for reflective human problem solving and thoughtful, fair-minded decision making. In English and in authorized translations, these high quality instruments are in use with professionals, new hires, candidates, and students at every educational level by businesses, universities, schools, and government agencies.