EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades 6-8
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades 6-8 is calibrated to measure the critical thinking and quantitative reasoning of middle school children (grades 6-8)
Critical thinking and quantitative reasoning in one assessment.
Students possessing strength in critical thinking are better equipped to solve problems, to understand and to integrate content material, and to achieve in school. Success in middle school years requires students to understand and apply increasingly sophisticated concepts and information. Middle school instruction is important because core reasoning skills can be developed or can fail to blossom depending on the quality of the instruction. The more students are supported and challenged to exercise their core critical thinking skills, the stronger these skills become.
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades 6-8 is an objective measure of critical thinking skills and quantitative reasoning at the middle school level. Comprehensive reports provide important individual and group diagnostics. Quick, easy to administer, this assessment delivers results that are locally relevant immediately. Given at the beginning and/or end of the school year, reports provide metrics that are used to:
- Strengthen support programs: Identify and provide input about individual students needing more support so that optimal individualized instruction and learning strategies can be developed
- Target classroom curriculum and activities: obtain the relevant, objective group data that teachers need to incorporate necessary reasoning skills into class work, reading instruction and curriculum.
- Improve critical thinking outcomes: Evaluate the effectiveness of curricular programs, instructional approaches and educational materials in fostering critical thinking skills; strategically scaffold learning outcomes by building on successes at earlier grade levels.
- Support skills development: ensure that students are developing reasoning skills necessary for academic success
- Leverage accreditation and school improvement data: Improve critical thinking outcomes by evaluating the effectiveness of curricular programs, instructional approaches and educational materials in fostering critical thinking learning
- Assess effectiveness of enrichment programs: Document the effectiveness and outcomes achievement of after school programs, tutors, community based programs, lifelong learning programs as well as educational programs for disadvantaged youth
- Promote school/home partnership; comprehensive individual reports documenting their student’s problem solving strengths and weaknesses can help engage parents in student support activities
Children, adolescents and adults alike need to be able to think critically about the mathematical and numerical information that surrounds them in the media, on the Internet, in schools and workplaces, and in society at large. Fostering the development of overall critical thinking skills at this level pays off across the curriculum and in the future workplace. EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades 6-8 provides age-appropriate items that use comfortable, everyday, common sense topics and vocabulary to engage the test-taker in applying his or her critical thinking skills. Every question is familiar, relevant and provides all necessary content to isolate thinking process. The assessment is timed for 45 minutes which permits maximum performance within the range of possible effort for the intended test-taker group.
Scale Scores Reported
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades 6-8 provides an Overall Reasoning score, and scores on five critical thinking skills that are vital for educational success: analysis, evaluation, inference, induction and deduction. An additional valuable scale is measured: Numeracy.
Insight Assessment offers the industry’s most complete and cost-effective array of testing options. Tests are available any time any where, whether directly at your site or multiple sites, at test centers or to individual devices. Our app based assessment tools are easily administered 24/7 via our secure, encrypted, online, multi-lingual interface over a wide array of major platforms while offering a single simple interface to mobile, or non-mobile users. An in-app tutorial makes it simple to administer the assessment.
Recommended Companion Assessment
Engaging problems and making decisions using critical thinking involves both skills and habits of mind. For a complete assessment of a test taker’s critical thinking, it is recommended both skills and dispositions be measured. Using companion assessments results in a comprehensive measurement of whether a test taker is ‘willing and able’ to think well. We recommend that EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades 6-8 be taken in conjunction with the EDUCATE INSIGHT Thinking Mindset Grades 6-12.
EDUCATE INSIGHT Series
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2 is a member of the EDUCATE INSIGHT comprehensive thinking assessment program for K-12 students. The metrics delivered by these thinking skills and mindset assessments provide relevant, objective input for teachers in the classroom, for school improvement and accreditation reports. Use of the EDUCATE INSIGHT series makes possible reliable multi-year tracking of individual and group performance statistics as students progress through K-12 education. The EDUCATE INSIGHT series is specially designed for children ages K-12 from all areas and backgrounds.
Contact us today . Our client relations specialists will help you determine the optimal tools for your objectives.
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades 6-8 is calibrated to measure the critical thinking and quantitative reasoning of middle school children (grades 6-9). Six components of reasoning skills and an OVERALL measure are reported:
Reasoning Skills Overall
Analytical skills are used to identify assumptions, reasons, themes, and the evidence used in making arguments or offering explanations. Analytical skills enable us to consider all the key elements in any given situation, and to determine how those elements relate to one another. People with strong analytical skills notice important patterns and details. People use analysis to gather the most relevant information from spoken language, documents, signs, charts, graphs, and diagrams.
Evaluative reasoning skills enable us to assess the credibility of sources of information and the claims they make. We use these skills to determine the strength or weakness of arguments. Applying evaluation skills we can judge the quality of analyses, interpretations, explanations, inferences, options, opinions, beliefs, ideas, proposals, and decisions. Strong explanation skills can support high-quality evaluation by providing the evidence, reasons, methods, criteria, or assumptions behind the claims made and the conclusions reached.
Deductive reasoning is rigorously logical and clear cut. Deductive skills are used whenever we determine the precise logical consequences of a given set of rules, conditions, beliefs, values, policies, principles, procedures, or terminology. Deductive reasoning is deciding what to believe or what to do in precisely defined contexts that rely on strict rules and logic. Deductive validity results in a conclusion which absolutely cannot be false, if the assumptions or premises from which we started all are true. Deductive validity leaves no room for uncertainty. That is, unless we decide to change the very meanings of our words or the grammar of our language.
Inference skills enable us to draw conclusions from reasons, evidence, observations, experiences, or our values and beliefs. Using Inference, we can predict the most likely consequences of the options we may be considering. Inference enables us to see the logical consequences of the assumptions we may be making. Sound inferences rely on accurate information. People with strong inference skills draw logical or highly reliable conclusions using all forms of analogical, probabilistic, empirical, and mathematical reasoning.
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades 6-8 also measures:
Numeracy refers to the ability to make judgments based on quantitative information in a variety of contexts. People with strong numeracy can describe how quantitative information is gathered, manipulated, and represented textually, verbally, and visually in graphs, charts, tables and diagrams. Numeracy requires all the core critical thinking skills. Numeracy includes being thoughtfully reflective while interpreting the meaning of information expressed in charts, graphs, or text formats, analyzing those elements, drawing accurate inferences from that information, and explaining and evaluating how those conclusions were reached.
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades 6-8 has been designed to deliver high quality objective metrics on the strengths and weaknesses of key aspects of thinking. Scores are reported for Overall Reasoning Skills, Analysis, Inference, Evaluation, Induction, Deduction and Numeracy
EDUCATE INSIGHT reports deliver individual and group results in a presentation ready format. Each report includes a wide range of statistical and demographic information about individuals and/or test-taker groups. Group aggregate data, spreadsheets showing each student’s scores, and separate reports for each individual student can be generated. Colorful graphics make it easy to understand how any group of students has performed. Test-taker scores and group summaries are presented with interpretative analysis by Insight Assessment measurement scientists.
The Assessment Report package includes:
- Individual test-taker analytics:
- an overall score of thinking ability (Overall Score)
- a categorical interpretation of the strength of the Overall Score and scale scores
- a norm-referenced percentile ranking (applicable to skills assessments only)
- scale scores to indicate which of the skills areas are particularly strong and which are weaker and require training attention.
- test administrators control whether test-takers receive their individual results after testing.
- Group analytics include:
- descriptive statistics and presentation ready graphic representation of the average Overall score and scale scores for the group
- descriptive graphics and representations including size of the group, mean, median, standard deviation, standard error of the mean, lowest score, highest score, first quartile score and third quartile score. To see video about interpreting group report histograms
- descriptive statistics of the demographic characteristics of the test-taker group (if collected
- the average percentile of group as compared to a pre-selected external norm group (applicable to skills assessments only). For more information on norm-referenced scores
- Electronic data files spreadsheet with all scale scores and demographic responses.
- User Manual which includes chapters on interpreting individual and group test-taker scores using our 4-Step Process.
Insight Assessment clients depend on the comprehensive data and analysis in an Educate INSIGHT report to provide the insights needed to achieve their assessment goals. Clients are currently using individual data for admissions, placement and to document achievement of learning outcomes. Group data is being used for new cohort assessment, outcomes assessment, demonstrating the quality of an educational program, demonstrating group proficiency, staff development and more.
Clients can customize their results package with additional analyses, graphics and interpretative text discussing your scores in relationship to your particular goals and objectives. For further information, see Insight Assessment Reports and Analytics
Individual and group scores are provided for all Insight Assessment test takers. Different groups of test takers have very different performance levels and therefore their scores differ quite a bit on scientifically developed measures of cognitive ability. It is important to understand how your group of test takers compares to selected external comparison groups, for example, the population of comparable regional or national peer groups.
The reports for each Insight Assessment test instrument provide scores that can be benchmarked against a variety of external comparison groups so that our clients are able to evaluate the scores of individual test takers or of their entire group. If you do not see what you are specifically looking for, contact us to discuss your needs with a testing specialist.
Available Comparison Percentiles for EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Test Grades 6-8
- Grades 6-8
Some of the current authorized translations of EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades 6-8 (for use with middle school children or the equivalent) are listed below. Insight Assessment is constantly working on expanding the multilingual capabilities of our products. Please contact us to discuss the availability of these and other additional language options.
As a qualified purchaser, we offer the option of purchasing a preview of the assessment experience.
A preview provides you with one or more opportunities to view and experience the assessment from the perspective of the individual being assessed and to see the reporting options.
Your account representative will set up your preview of the instrument on mobile devices or on computers. The preview includes the profile page, an example of the assessment itself, and an example of the individual report that will be provided at completion of the assessment.
Each preview also includes a digital copy of the user manual and resource guide for the specific instrument you are viewing. User manuals provide:
- a brief description of each metric being assessed by the instrument;
- a description of how to interpret both individual and group assessment results;
- a discussion of validity and reliability for the measures;
- all necessary information about administration of the assessment;
- many additional resources that we hope you will find useful for designing your assessment project.
Contact us to order a preview now, or receive your preview when you place your first order for assessments.