The International Measurement of Thinking
The International Measurement of Thinking
Insight Assessment is committed to the global advancement of critical thinking. Since 1994 Insight Assessment test instruments have been widely used by universities, hospitals, businesses, government and military agencies, researchers and K-12 schools throughout the world.
International and Multicultural Capabilities
As part of Insight Assessment's ongoing effort to provide critical thinking measurement globally, we have developed our online tools to support a complete multiple language test taker experience. Our clients benefit from our ability to provide language flexibility in the assessment instruments and in the test taker interface (TTI).
- We specialize in high quality culturally-appropriate translations of our copyright-protected, research-based tools. Insight Assessment researchers work with professional translators and with native speakers to develop valid and reliable translations. Translations undergo rigorous review and validation in the field. Authorized translations are currently available for global use in more than twenty languages. Additional translations can be made available by special request.
- We also provide independent language flexibility in the test taker interface (TTI). The test taker can select from a variety of languages on the interface to assure they understand navigation and test instructions. It is important to us and our customers to only assess the individual’s thinking skills and attitudes, not their ESL abilities.
- Test-taker reports can be delivered in multiple languages. Contact us to discuss your specific needs.
- Our multicultural capabilities go beyond the basic language to include many country-specific variants, date formatting, number formatting, image selection, symbol selection and color selection. Cultural sensitivity, not literal translations are critical in true thinking assessments.
- Some of the many languages Insight Assessment instruments have been translated into include: Arabic, Chinese-Simplified, Chinese-Traditional, Dutch, English, Farsi, Finnish, French, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish and Vietnamese. A partial list of our translations of a specific test instrument can be accessed from that assessment’s webpage.
For information about Insight Assessment's international assessment products and services, or to discuss your specific thinking needs, contact our international test specialists by calling 650-697-5628 or use the Contact Us form on this page. We take great pride in the quality of our testing support services and in matching of our services to each client's assessment needs. We have many years of experience working with qualified purchasers throughout the world.
Unfortunately at this time our client services demands do not permit us to maintain trained staff in all our translations at all times. We request that you communicate in English to our California office staff to ensure that they can efficiently provide the information you need. We apologize for this inconvenience.
All translations are copyright protected. Insight Assessment is the exclusive publisher worldwide in all languages.
Why Good Translations Matter
Thinking assessments should be in the test taker’s one’s native language. We believe in testing thinking—not testing English as a second language (ESL) skills. We live in a global multi-lingual world. Ideas, curriculum, schools and businesses cross national and language boundaries.
You should expect your thinking assessments to support the language needs of your test takers. Language must be a consideration when assigning a critical thinking test. Students or workers may not be able to demonstrate their true reasoning skills if their language comprehension is inadequate to interpret the question and answer choices and to understand the question being asked.
Insight Assessment has crafted our multilingual assessments to minimize the possibility that the measure of an individual’s thinking skills is affected by language ability and comprehension. Insight Assessment clients want the most accurate thinking skills and dispositions assessment; that’s why they choose the high quality, culturally appropriate translations of our comprehensive range of assessments.
Before you choose an assessment or a translation consider:
- Are you measuring their thinking skills? Or are you measuring their English reading skills? Many clients use culturally appropriate translations of our thinking assessments to minimize the English as a second language (ESL) impact when assessing diverse groups of students. These individuals are taking the same test (in different languages); therefore group results can still be used to compare and identify the strongest thinkers and teams.
- Do all your test takers understand the assessment process? Other clients prefer to assess an individual’s performance in an English speaking workplace or learning environment. They choose to use the English language version of the assessment. Our flexible online testing interface allows for the use of combinations of languages for test, instructions and the login process.
- Who needs the comprehensive data reported for each test taker and group? Test-taker group and individual reports can be delivered in English or the appropriate language to maximize the impact of the results. Test taker results can be grouped as a whole or by the language in which the test was presented to the test taker. Contact us to discuss your specific needs.
- Who ensures the quality of the translations? Our clients need consistent metrics that permit the reliable comparison of group results when a test has been taken in multiple languages. Insight Assessment collaborates with international scholars who are native language speakers; rigorous iterative translation procedures are used to assure validity, reliability and cultural competence is achieved in the authorized translations. Our multicultural capabilities go beyond the basic language and include many country-specific variants, date formatting, number formatting, image selection, symbol selection and color selection. Translations in more than 20 languages are used in over 60 countries.
Insight Assessment is committed to excellence and precision of thinking. Contact us to discuss how our language flexibility will strengthen your multicultural assessment program.
For more information about translations, assessments and our multilingual interface see: The International Measurement of Thinking
How Insight Assessment Translations Are Used
Insight Assessment critical thinking assessments are used throughout the world. Businesses, researchers, health care institutions, governments, military agencies, schools and universities choose Insight Assessment for their proven assessments and for their rigorously validated translations. Some recent examples include:
- Multinational corporations use translations of our business test instruments to measure the decision-making skills of overseas managers and executives as part of company-wide professional development programs. Since individuals are taking the same test (in different languages), group results can be compared to identify the strongest thinkers and teams throughout the corporation.
- Large multi-campus, multi-country universities use our college level instruments to assess student critical thinking skills or mindset attributes as part of the admissions process. Multiple language translations of Insight Assessment test instruments are available to assess students in their native languages. Within their LMS systems, the clients are able to specify the test language or they can assign a test and let the test taker select between the available translations.
- International Universities are using our college level assessments to assess educational readiness in their applicants, to assess their students' thinking skills, to assess Honors students’ problem solving skills and to evaluate the effectiveness of critical thinking curriculum and programs.
- International Health Science researchers use our Health Science instruments to measure the critical thinking skills of nurses and to document the effectiveness of diagnostic reasoning training techniques Group and individual reports are be delivered in English and other languages. Test taker results can be grouped as a whole or by the language in which the test was presented to the test taker.
- Individual and international collaborative research projects throughout the world use our multilingual assessments to study topics such as the relationship between thinking skills, linguistics and reading comprehension, the strength of teachers' critical thinking, the effectiveness of problem based learning strategies and changes in cognition.
- Public, private and international K-12 schools use translated versions of our assessments for children and adolescents. They value the flexibility of assessing the thinking skills and learning orientation of multilingual students while minimizing the English as a Second Language (ESL) impact.
- A nonprofit peace focused agency in the Middle East is using an array of critical thinking skills instruments in its youth educational programs to build negotiation skills and tolerance.
- Doctoral Students: many international doctoral students use translations of Insight Assessment test instruments for their dissertation research.
Contact us to discuss how your multilingual assessment program will be strengthened by using Insight Assessment's high quality thinking test instruments and translations.
Frequently Asked Questions about Translations
Here is a sampling of the frequently asked questions about Insight Assessment's international services and translations. Please contact us if you have need further information.
How can I find out if a test is translated into my language?
- The list of the currently available authorized translations of a specific test instrument can be found on the product page of the test that interests you. Just click on this link to our Products page. A list of translations is provided under the last tab of each test assessment page.
What tests do you have in my language?
- The easiest way is to enter the language into our site search box on the header of each page. The search results will give you links to the tests that have been translated into that language.
Has your test been used in my country?
- Our tests are used in more than 60 countries. Contact us to ask about your specific country and language.
Is the translation culturally biased?
- We specialize in high quality culturally-appropriate translations of our copyright-protected, research-based tools. Each of our authorized translations is painstakingly designed to match its English equivalent in its performance metrics and sensitive to cultural differences. New language forms of an assessment are authorized only when the new items and scales achieve psychometric performance standards.
- When an instrument is translated to other languages, methods to maintain the validity of items & scales is an integral concern. Variations in culture have required that some items be changed in the non-English language translations due to idiomatic or cultural interpretation issues, so the various language versions are not completely identical at the item level. However much care has been taken, through collaborations with international scholars who are native language speakers and using rigorous iterative translation procedures to assure validity, reliability and cultural competence is achieved in the authorized translations.
Can my non- English speaking students login to your online system in their native language? What language will their test be in?
- Yes. Authorized, culturally appropriate translations of our testing instruments and our online test taker interface are available in many languages. Our online testing interface can be engaged using multiple languages.
- For example, we have authorized Spanish translations for several assessments and for our test taker interface. Test administrators can choose to have candidates login and take the test in Spanish. Individual and group reports can also be available in Spanish. Contact us to discuss available translations.
Can your tools help us evaluate candidates from other countries?
- Yes. Our test instruments are used successfully in the hiring and student admission process to assess not only the thinking skills but also the thinking and learning attributes of prospective hires and students at the high school through the university level in English or in the student’s native language. Our business clients use the INSIGHT series to assess the decision making skills of job candidates.
Is customer service only in English?
- Unfortunately at this time our client services demands do not permit us to maintain trained staff in all our translations at all times. We request that you communicate in English to our California office staff to ensure they can efficiently provide the information you need. We apologize for this inconvenience. Insight Assessment office hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm US Pacific Standard Time.
Can I preview a test in this language?
- Yes, previews of translated assessments can be arranged for qualified purchasers. Contact us to discuss your assessment needs.
Can I translate your test?
- The development and authorization of new language forms of any assessment requires a validation study. For reasons of instrument validity, reliability, and cultural sensitivity we have strict policies regarding translations. The use of unauthorized translations is strictly prohibited. If your project requires an authorized translation which we currently do not have, please call (650) 697-5628 or use the Contact Us Form.
- For further information for scholars with an interest in a possible translation project.
What do you mean by “authorized translations?”
- We use the term authorized translation to indicate translations that have been rigorously validated, verified and meet our high standards for accuracy. New language forms of any assessment are authorized only when the new items and scales achieve psychometric performance standards. Results from an unauthorized translations will not be comparable to the source language version. Scoring cannot be provided for unauthorized translations.
What is included with the purchase of an assessment?
- Insight Assessment provides assessment solutions which are single, time-limited instrument use licenses and the related scoring and score reporting. Our testing specialists provide high quality client services starting from a consultation on test selection and logistics through delivery and analysis of results. Individual and/or group reports are delivered via our secure, encrypted, online multilingual interface. Online, paper or LMS administration options are available. Clients also receive resources to promote teaching and learning thinking skills. Contact us to learn more.
How do I get a price quote?
- Use the contact us form you will find on each page on this website. Please fill out the requested information including the assessment selected, number of tests and purpose of the project so that we can provide the best price.
Do you sell tests to individuals? Are free tests available?
- Insight Assessment test instruments are only sold to institutions or researchers for their individual and group testing needs.
- Individuals can download our free app, Critical Thinking Insight, from their app store. Critical Thinking INSIGHT includes free sample thinking skills and thinking mindset questions. Purchasable self-tests for adult and children are also available on the app. Reports for each self-test include scores on specific components of thinking as well as analysis to help you interpret your scores and identify ways to help develop strength in each area covered by the tests. We encourage Individuals to use the sample thinking skills and sample thinking mindset questions on our website.
Please contact us if you have further questions.
Multilingual Critical Thinking Assessment
Insight Assessment is a world leader in the measurement of critical thinking. We have developed a comprehensive array of test instruments calibrated for a full range of professional and academic needs. Many of our assessments have been translated into multiple languages. The high quality culturally-appropriate translations of our assessments are used in over 60 countries to measure the thinking skills and thinking mindset attributes of test-takers. Our multilingual test taker interface provides additional independent language flexibility.
Sample Thinking Skills Questions and Sample Items for Measuring Thinking Attributes are available on the Insight Assessment website. These samples illustrate the types of questions that might appear on a generic adult level reasoning test. Some translated versions of these sample questions also appear on the website.
Additional sample thinking questions can be found on the Insight Assessment app, Critical Thinking Insight, free at your app store.
Contact us if you would like further information about our assessments and translations. Unfortunately at this time our client services demands do not permit us to maintain trained staff in all our translations at all times. We request that you communicate in English to our California office staff to ensure that they can efficiently provide the information you need.