INSIGHT Law Professional
INSIGHT Law Professional
Assessments for professional law practitioners and officials
Target highly skilled individuals with the professional mindset and reasoning skills to reach fair-minded, rigorous and just decisions.
Successful legal professionals are expected to excel in multiple roles: as litigators, negotiators, strategists and advocates. Within the complexity of actual law practice, they must be able to recognize the arguments behind the arguments, to draw judiciously on the knowledge base of their profession to analyze problems and to formulate, evaluate, and re-evaluate, a wide range of client-related decisions. Effective legal professionals need excellent reasoning skills and strong habits of mind to deliver in high stakes, and often time-limited situations.
Identify the candidates with the greatest potential to succeed in the legal profession.
Law firms hire many new associates each year, but many do not succeed. Now it is possible to add the power of an online assessment to legal team recruitment and training. INSIGHT Law Professional delivers objective, reliable metrics about the strengths and weaknesses of an individual’s thinking anywhere in the world with results in minute. Based on more than 25 years of measurement science research, INSIGHT Law Professional has been specifically calibrated to measure the problem-solving skills and mindset of lawyers and legal professionals.
Thinking and decision-making skills and a commitment to your mission, vision and values are important considerations at every level of your practice. So why would you make a hire or promotion without assessing these metrics?
Talent spotting and skills development
INSIGHT Law Professional is a complete on-the-job solution; it provides valuable objective metrics for the prescreening evaluations of new employees and for ongoing staff development programs focused on strengthening competencies. Assessments are easily administered via our secure, encrypted, online, multi-lingual interface through internal corporate intranets or your Learning Management Systems.
INSIGHT Law Professional measures:
Law Professional Mindset:
- INSIGHT Law Professional assesses the attributes and mental disciplines that are valued in the practice of law. INSIGHT Law Professional presents legal situations or challenges that require test takers to make personal decisions based on their experience, beliefs, preferences and values in the context of what’s best for the practice. Questions have been designed to measure the mental disciplines that impact how individual decisions are made. INSIGHT Law Professional helps identify individuals who demonstrate: professional confidence, communicative confidence, peer expression, teamwork, directness, intellectual integrity, cognitive maturity, mental focus, mental rigor and foresight.
- Time Allowed: 30 minutes
- Format: short “agree-disagree” style items
Law Professional Reasoning Skills
- INSIGHT Law professional provides an assessment of overall strength of essential thinking skills and identifies areas for future development. Set in legal contexts, test items are 3 dimensional scenarios which require test takers to analyze problem situations, identify key elements, evaluate alternatives, establish priorities, anticipate logical consequences, be able to interpret vital information presented in numerical formats, determine solutions with the strongest likelihood of success and be able to explain the reasons for their decisions. An Overall Reasoning and individual skill metrics are reported: problem analysis, evaluating alternatives, precise contexts, ambiguous contexts and quantitative contexts.
- Time Allowed: 50 minutes
- Format: law-oriented scenario based multiple choice questions requiring application of the core problem solving skills associated with strong legal professional level reasoning.
To assess the senior leaders of a law firm, we recommend INSIGHT Executive which is designed to assess the skills and mindset necessary to run the corporate, financial and business side of the practice. Items on this tool are set in business contexts.
The competitive advantage goes to the recruiter who can identify prospective junior and senior associates that will excel as legal professionals. These are the only candidates worth hiring. Contact us to identify candidates with a superior set of reasoning skills and the desired legal mindset.
INSIGHT Law Professional is a member of the INSIGHT suite of thinking tests. INSIGHT Health Professional is calibrated specifically for highly skilled clinicians, medical professionals who make high stakes decisions about patient care. INSIGHT Business Professional is calibrated specifically for business operational team leaders. INSIGHT Defense Professional is calibrated for officers and senior managers with operational planning and leadership responsibilities.
INSIGHT Law Professional Metrics
The metrics reported on INSIGHT Law Professional have been rigorously calibrated to measure the professional mindset and problem solving skills. Items present complex, multi-layer situations. In order to answer the questions, individuals must employ their reasoning skills to make decisions about the next steps to resolve the dilemma. Based on responses, we identify how decisions were made and measure the application of reasoning skills. Strengths and weaknesses are clearly reported for each following key aspects:
Professional confidence is the self-assurance felt by newly assigned, enrolled, hired or newly promoted individuals regarding their readiness to handle the stress, competitiveness, vocabulary, workload, instructional or orientation methods, and related complexities associated with their new role. Individuals who strongly manifest professional confidence have a positive sense of efficacy in their professional role.
Communicative confidence measures confidence in oral and written communication and assesses attitudes about technical writing. Individuals who strongly manifest communicative confidence believe that they have the ability to lead groups through the presentation of oral arguments, to read well, and to write effectively about analyses and opinions.
Expression describes a style of interacting with peers that may be quietly observational, expressively performing, or a mix of both depending on context. Expression scores fall into three categories: The "Quiet Observer” prefers to stay in the background and observe others even in social situations with peers. The "Expressive Performer" tends to be highly demonstrative and expressive, particularly when with their peers. The "Situational Observer or Performer" may present as a quiet observer or as an expressive performer depending on the context. They are comfortable letting others do the talking or, if the occasion demands, being the one who presents information, explanations and analyses.
Teamwork describes a style of interacting that may be collaborative, competitive or a mix of both depending on what is called for in a given situation. Teamwork scores fall into three categories: The "Consistent Collaborator" style may be well suited for professional responsibilities requiring diplomacy and compromise, such as interest based negotiation and arbitration. The "Lone Competitor" style may be well suited to highly competitive practice settings including potentially confrontational responsibilities. The "Situational Competitor or Collaborator" is comfortable with collaborative effort and with individual competition as well. This style is most effective when working within a collaborative group charged with competing effectively against other groups.
Directness describes a style of behaving and speaking in relationship to questions or pressure from peers or superiors aimed at seeking their approval, or forthrightly declaring one’s views, or a mix of both depending on the situation. Directness scores fall into three categories: The "Approval Seeker" tends to present to peers, supervisors and others as being highly agreeable, even if he or she must exaggerate positive characteristics and conceal weaknesses to do so. A "Forthright Declarer" prefers to describe matters exactly as he or she sees them, to speak bluntly, occasionally to the point of painful honesty, and to make decisions with little concern for whether or not others would approve or agree. "Situationally Direct" individuals may exhibit forthrightness or may withhold their true opinions depending on the situation.
Intellectual integrity is the discipline of striving to be thorough and honest to learn the truth or to reach the best decision possible in a given situation. A person with intellectual integrity has a driving desire to follow reasons and evidence courageously wherever they may lead. Individuals who strongly manifest intellectual integrity value objectivity, evidence-based decision making, and the courageous, fair-minded, and complete pursuit of the best possible knowledge in any given situation
Cognitive maturity indicates an awareness that there may be multiple potential perspectives on any given situation, problem, proposal or issue. A person who strongly manifests cognitive maturity endeavors to take this into consideration when making important decisions. This person is likely to move forward when an expeditious decision is required, to hold off making a decision if there is time to give the matter fuller consideration, or to reconsider decisions if new evidence emerges.
Mental focus is the discipline or habit of being diligent, systematic, task-oriented, organized, and clear-headed. A positive score indicates a person who endeavors to stay on task and approach problems and learning in systematic, focused, organized, and timely way. Mental focus is valuable because it directs attention to the duties and responsibilities of the task at hand.
Mental rigor is the discipline to work hard in an effort to analyze, interpret and achieve a deep understanding of complex material. Individuals who strongly manifest mental rigor are willing to engage difficult material and to work hard to analyze complicated situations and problems. They display a desire for learning, and a concern to achieve a deep understanding of events and their causes.
Foresight is the habit of approaching problems with a view toward anticipating consequences and outcomes. A foresightful person values clarity and the accurate interpretation of complex problem situations. Individuals who strongly manifest foresight value getting the problem right, understanding the reasons pro and con, and projecting the likely outcomes of various options.
Legal Reasoning Skills
The OVERALL Reasoning Skills metric on the INSIGHT Professional series represents the integration of thinking and reasoning skills needed to make operational decisions and to address concerns at the professional levels of an organization.
A strongly skilled problem solver at the professional level is capable of analyzing problem situations and identifying the significance of their key elements. Problem analysis is the capacity to identify the critical elements in a problem solving or decision making context. The analytical and interpretive skills used in problem analysis enable the professional to determine the issues that must be addressed and the parameters of the problem at hand.
The successful professional is capable of evaluating options accurately and establishing priorities. A strong score on this scale indicates strength in the core reasoning skills of evaluation and explanation. The capacity of the professional to differentiate the quality of different possible choices and to explain the reasons behind that evaluation are key to successful problem solving by individuals and teams.
Successful professionals have the skills necessary to anticipate outcomes and see logical consequences. This scale measures one's skills in drawing logical inferences in those precisely defined and tightly structured contexts where deductive reasoning plays a critical role. The professional with strengths in this reasoning skill domain will be able to see the applications and the implications of executive directives, company policies, regulations and protocols which both shape and constrain their problem solving.
Skills in problem solving in contexts of risk, ambiguity and uncertainty are critical for professionals. A strong score on this scale indicates excellence in the core reasoning skill of drawing well warranted justified inferences in situations involving probabilistic inductive reasoning, comparative this-is-like-that reasoning, and empirical facts-up-to-theories reasoning. Strengths in this reasoning skill domain lead the problem solver to find the solution that has the strongest likelihood of success, given the information at hand.
To be successful today every business professional must be able to reason well in contexts involving numerical data. A strong score on this scale indicates skill in applying analysis, interpretation, inference and evaluation to decision contexts where critical numerical information is presented in charts, graphs, text or tables. Successful business problem solvers demonstrate the ability to interpret and evaluate vital information presented in a variety of numerical formats in order to reach an optimal problem solution.
Measure the reasoning skills and mindset needed to succeed in the legal profession
INSIGHT Reports and Analysis
What do you get? Results you can use.
Easy to read, easy to use comprehensive metrics on the strengths and weaknesses of key aspects of decision making.
Clear concise reports provide the reliable analysis you need for hiring, promoting and future planning. Printable INDIVIDUAL REPORTS document strengths and areas for growth for 15 key thinking skill and mindset metrics.
For each individual you will know:
- Overall score: You will know if the total numeric score indicates Superior, Strong, Moderate skills at this level-- or if the skills were Not Manifested.
- Did the individual candidate demonstrate core reasoning skills in the required decision making domains? Reports explain each of the key aspects of decision making and how it impacts success. At a glance, you’ll see a qualitative rating (Superior, Strong skills, Moderate, or Not Manifested) for each skill or attribute.
- Numerical scores and recommended performance assessments reported reflect the extent to which the person being assessed manifested a given skill or attribute. The recommended performance assessments (qualitative scores) reported are always relative to the level of the INSIGHT assessment instrument: Executive, Professional, Staff or Support.
Group Report Options:
- Group reports can be requested at any time as an additional service. Group reports display aggregated statistics and bar-charts on each INSIGHT metric. These reports have many uses including guiding employee development initiatives over time, comparing different groups engaged in similar tasks at a given organizational level or aiding in the establishment of threshold skill levels to qualify candidates for interviews.
Thinking Skills and Mindset
- INSIGHT assessments include two sets of evaluations; Section 1 assesses 10 aspects of the business mindset. Section 2 assesses 5 decision making skills plus the overall numeric score. The multi-level scales on INSIGHT products have been rigorously calibrated to show how applicants apply their reasoning skills to job-related situations.
- INSIGHT assessments are available whenever needed 24/7. Upon completion of the assessment, we can have results sent directly to you or your authorized representative.
Options. You tell us what data you need:
- Do you want to show your top performers?
- Do you want group statistics, group graphics, ratings within assigned groups?
- Do you want periodic reports summarizing results?
- Do you want the individual to see or receive a copy of the report directly?
- Do you want to benchmark your results against national norms?
Confidence in your results:
INSIGHT is the culmination of Insight Assessment’s 30 years of experience in high stakes measurement of reasoning. Worldwide clients rely on our comprehensive range of assessment products to provide the data they need to make high stakes decisions about hiring, admissions, licensing, curriculum, program development and more.
Why wait? Distance yourself from your competition.
INSIGHT Client Services
Complete Start-to-Finish Staff and Candidate Assessment
Insight Assessment is committed to providing the highest quality customer service. For over 25 years we have been providing superior assessment solutions; our business model is based on doing what we do best so that our clients can focus on doing what they do best.
When you become an INSIGHT client, you can trust us to manage account setup and support—your results will be delivered to you quickly and confidentially.
Our customer service is based on these four cornerstones:
- Comprehensive Initial Consultation. We want to know who, how, why and what you want to accomplish. By evaluating your organization's unique objectives we will recommend the INSIGHT level that best matches your business needs. Our experts will discuss logistics and the test process. We want to answer your questions.
- Ease of Test Administration. Insight Assessment’s secure, encrypted online multilingual interface is available 24-7 for individual and group testing. Tests are available directly at your site or multiple sites, at test centers or to individuals. Our app and browser based systems can also deliver our products through your internal and corporate intranets or integrated with your LMS platform. Insight Assessment manages test-taker logins/passwords, test assignments—all you need to do is tell us when and how many individuals you will be testing. Insight Assessment will add up to ten customized questions for your respondents to complete so you can gather consistent and comparable information. Tech support is available 24/7.
- Fast Results Delivery. Within minutes of test completion, Insight Assessment will deliver a comprehensive PDF report of individual thinking skills scores to your designated representative. Results can also be optionally displayed to the test taker immediately following the test. Summary group and subgroup reports will be transmitted to a designated representative at your request. Internal reports and board ready presentations include data, custom designed analyses, documentation and presentation-ready graphics.
- Ease of Purchase. Pricing is based on products selected and the number of tests submitted for scoring. Minimum order requirements apply. After initial prepaid order, clients may opt to prepay for future testing or to pay only for tests used by electing to be invoiced monthly for the number of tests used. Other custom arrangements are available upon request.
High quality assessment is our business; every step of our full service process, from purchase and adoption through test administration and reporting, has been designed to ensure that you get the solution you need to realize high standards for decision making throughout your company.
Contact us to get started.
Preview This Assessment
As a qualified purchaser, if you are not familiar with the assessment instrument or the use of our online system, we offer the opportunity to purchase a preview of the assessment experience. A preview provides you with one or more opportunities to view and experience the assessment from the perspective of the individual being assessed and to see the reporting options. Your account representative will set up your preview to include one or more opportunities to view the instrument using our mobile app on your computer or tablet (the profile page, an example of the assessment itself, and an example of the individual report that will be provided at completion of the assessment).
Each preview also includes a digital copy of the user manual and resource guide for the specific instrument you are viewing. User manuals provide:
- a brief description of each metric being assessed by the instrument
- a description of how to interpret both individual and group assessment results
- a discussion of validity and reliability for the measures
- all necessary information about administration of the assessment
- many additional resources that we hope you will find useful for designing your assessment project
Contact us to order a preview now, or receive your preview when you place your first order for assessments.