INSIGHT Defense Professional
INSIGHT Defense Professional
Identify highly skilled individuals with the professional mindset and critical thinking skills to provide leadership across the full range of professional military and defense related field operations.
INSIGHT Defense Professional is calibrated for officers, senior NCOs, and civilian managers with operational planning and leadership responsibilities in staff or line positions.
Thinking Assessments for Military and Defense Professionals
In 2013 critical thinking was specifically identified as one of the six Desired Leadership Attributes for officers (CJCS CM-0166-13) and in 2015 critical thinking was included in the DLAs for enlisted (CJCSI 1805.01B). The development of critical thinking skills and mindset attributes has become a priority for PME. And, it makes the objective assessment of those skills and attributes a necessity. Like the MDCTI upon which this instrument is based, the INSIGHT Defense Professional provides a valid, reliable, objective, and cost-effective means by which to assess the thinking mindset and reasoning skills that are essential for leadership, problem solving, and decision making.
Talent Spotting and Development
Organizations engaged in the defense of the nation must be confident in the ability of individuals and teams to solve complex problems and make decisions in contexts of risk and uncertainty. INSIGHT Defense Professional test items are set in professional practice contexts that challenge test takers to apply their reasoning skills. Comprehensive individual reports enable test administrators to:
- Quickly screen the thinking skills and mindset of candidates for new positions
- Foster sound decision making skills and professionalism competencies at all organizational levels
- Proactively identify strengths and weaknesses in the key skills and attributes that are used to make operational leadership decisions
- Identify current skill levels and project an individual’s potential fit for future leadership responsibilities
Grounded in Science and Consultation
The science of human cognitive assessment tells us that the valid and objective measurement of skills and mindset attributes demands questions that engage a person’s reasoning skills and address the person’s values, intentions, and beliefs. Working with the advice and support of leaders and experts, civilian and military, retired and active, of the US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Army, US Navy and Joint Special Operations, the test items used in the INSIGHT Defense instruments were built upon that assessment science. This two-part instrument targets core critical thinking skills and key personal attributes associated with successfully engaging complex and novel problems and making thoughtful decisions about what to believe and what to do.
INSIGHT Defense Professional is a complete solution; it provides valuable objective metrics for the prescreening evaluations of applicants and new employees, and for ongoing staff development programs focused on strengthening decision making competencies. Assessments are easily administered via our secure, encrypted, online, multi-lingual interface.
INSIGHT Defense Professional measures:
Defense Professional Mindset
- INSIGHT Defense Professional Part 1 – Mindset assesses ten mental disciplines and attributes relevant to the expression of thought and to one’s style of interaction in decision making and professional contexts. Each of these ten has been identified as desirable in officers, senior NCOs, and civilian managers with operational planning and field leadership responsibilities in staff or line positions. The ten mindset disciplines addressed include: Communicative Confidence, Professional Confidence, Peer Expression, Teamwork, Directness with Superiors, Intellectual Integrity, Mental Focus, Mental Rigor, Foresight, and Cognitive Maturity.
- Time Allowed: 30 minutes
- Format: short “Agree-Disagree” style items
Defense Professional Reasoning Skills
- INSIGHT Defense Professional Part 2 – Skills is an objective measure of the core reasoning skills used in thoughtful leadership decision making and problem solving. Test items are set in professional practice contexts that challenge test takers to apply their clinical thinking skills. The questions are initiated with scenarios of varying complexity across a range of topics. Sufficient information is presented to enable the test-taker to reason to the best answer from among the choices provided. Six skill metrics are reported: Overall Reasoning Skills (Critical Thinking), Reasoning in Ambiguous Contexts, Reasoning in Precise Contexts, Problem Analysis, Quantitative Reasoning, and Evaluative Reasoning.
- Time Allowed: 60 minutes
- Format: scenario-based multiple choice items
Contact us to learn how to use the INSIGHT Defense Professional for applicant screening, professional development, or program evaluation in your organization.
INSIGHT Defense Professional is a member of the INSIGHT Defense suite of thinking tests. INSIGHT features additional customized professional level assessments: INSIGHT Health Professional, INSIGHT Law Professional and INSIGHT Defense Professional.
INSIGHT Defense Professional Metrics
Target highly skilled individuals with the professional mindset and the critical thinking skills needed for leadership decision making and problem solving.
The metrics reported on INSIGHT Defense Professional have been rigorously calibrated to measure the professional mindset and reasoning skills. Part 1 items invite agree-disagree responses to statement prompts engineered to target mindset attributes. Part 2 questions present complex, multi-layer situations. In order to respond successfully to the problems posed, individuals must apply their reasoning skills to the information provided and determine the best response from among those provided. Based on responses to part 1 and part 2, we identify how the intensity of the various mindset factors with which test taker approaches problem situations and the strengths of the different reasoning skills that the test taker is able to apply.
Defense Professional Mindset – 10 Measures
- Communicative Confidence
- Professional Confidence
- Peer Expression
- Intellectual Integrity
- Mental Focus
- Mental Rigor
- Cognitive Maturity
Defense Professional Reasoning Skill - Six Measures
OVERALL Reasoning Skill (Critical Thinking)
- Reasoning in Ambiguous Contexts
- Reasoning in Precise Contexts
- Problem Analysis
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Evaluative Reasoning
INSIGHT Reports and Analysis
What do you get? Results you can use.
Easy to read, easy to use comprehensive metrics on the strengths and weaknesses of key aspects of decision making.
Clear concise reports provide the reliable analysis you need for hiring, promoting and future planning. Printable INDIVIDUAL REPORTS document strengths and areas for growth for 15 key thinking skill and mindset metrics.
For each individual you will know:
- Overall score: You will know if the total numeric score indicates Superior, Strong, Moderate skills at this level-- or if the skills were Not Manifested.
- Did the individual candidate demonstrate core reasoning skills in the required decision making domains? Reports explain each of the key aspects of decision making and how it impacts success. At a glance, you’ll see a qualitative rating (Superior, Strong skills, Moderate, or Not Manifested) for each skill or attribute.
- Numerical scores and recommended performance assessments reported reflect the extent to which the person being assessed manifested a given skill or attribute. The recommended performance assessments (qualitative scores) reported are always relative to the level of the INSIGHT assessment instrument: Executive, Professional, Staff or Support.
Group Report Options:
- Group reports can be requested at any time as an additional service. Group reports display aggregated statistics and bar-charts on each INSIGHT metric. These reports have many uses including guiding employee development initiatives over time, comparing different groups engaged in similar tasks at a given organizational level or aiding in the establishment of threshold skill levels to qualify candidates for interviews.
Thinking Skills and Mindset
- INSIGHT assessments include two sets of evaluations; Section 1 assesses 10 aspects of the business mindset. Section 2 assesses 5 decision making skills plus the overall numeric score. The multi-level scales on INSIGHT products have been rigorously calibrated to show how applicants apply their reasoning skills to job-related situations.
- INSIGHT assessments are available whenever needed 24/7. Upon completion of the assessment, we can have results sent directly to you or your authorized representative.
Options. You tell us what data you need:
- Do you want to show your top performers?
- Do you want group statistics, group graphics, ratings within assigned groups?
- Do you want periodic reports summarizing results?
- Do you want the individual to see or receive a copy of the report directly?
- Do you want to benchmark your results against national norms?
Confidence in your results:
INSIGHT is the culmination of Insight Assessment’s 30 years of experience in high stakes measurement of reasoning. Worldwide clients rely on our comprehensive range of assessment products to provide the data they need to make high stakes decisions about hiring, admissions, licensing, curriculum, program development and more.
Why wait? Distance yourself from your competition.
INSIGHT Client Services
Complete Start-to-Finish Staff and Candidate Assessment
Insight Assessment is committed to providing the highest quality customer service. For over 25 years we have been providing superior assessment solutions; our business model is based on doing what we do best so that our clients can focus on doing what they do best.
When you become an INSIGHT client, you can trust us to manage account setup and support—your results will be delivered to you quickly and confidentially.
Our customer service is based on these four cornerstones:
- Comprehensive Initial Consultation. We want to know who, how, why and what you want to accomplish. By evaluating your organization's unique objectives we will recommend the INSIGHT level that best matches your business needs. Our experts will discuss logistics and the test process. We want to answer your questions.
- Ease of Test Administration. Insight Assessment’s secure, encrypted online multilingual interface is available 24-7 for individual and group testing. Tests are available directly at your site or multiple sites, at test centers or to individuals. Our app and browser based systems can also deliver our products through your internal and corporate intranets or integrated with your LMS platform. Insight Assessment manages test-taker logins/passwords, test assignments—all you need to do is tell us when and how many individuals you will be testing. Insight Assessment will add up to ten customized questions for your respondents to complete so you can gather consistent and comparable information. Tech support is available 24/7.
- Fast Results Delivery. Within minutes of test completion, Insight Assessment will deliver a comprehensive PDF report of individual thinking skills scores to your designated representative. Results can also be optionally displayed to the test taker immediately following the test. Summary group and subgroup reports will be transmitted to a designated representative at your request. Internal reports and board ready presentations include data, custom designed analyses, documentation and presentation-ready graphics.
- Ease of Purchase. Pricing is based on products selected and the number of tests submitted for scoring. Minimum order requirements apply. After initial prepaid order, clients may opt to prepay for future testing or to pay only for tests used by electing to be invoiced monthly for the number of tests used. Other custom arrangements are available upon request.
High quality assessment is our business; every step of our full service process, from purchase and adoption through test administration and reporting, has been designed to ensure that you get the solution you need to realize high standards for decision making throughout your company.
Contact us to get started.
Preview This Assessment
As a qualified purchaser, if you are not familiar with the assessment instrument or the use of our online system, we offer the opportunity to purchase a preview of the assessment experience. A preview provides you with one or more opportunities to view and experience the assessment from the perspective of the individual being assessed and to see the reporting options. Your account representative will set up your preview to include one or more opportunities to view the instrument using our mobile app on your computer or tablet (the profile page, an example of the assessment itself, and an example of the individual report that will be provided at completion of the assessment).
Each preview also includes a digital copy of the user manual and resource guide for the specific instrument you are viewing. User manuals provide:
- a brief description of each metric being assessed by the instrument
- a description of how to interpret both individual and group assessment results
- a discussion of validity and reliability for the measures
- all necessary information about administration of the assessment
- many additional resources that we hope you will find useful for designing your assessment project
Contact us to order a preview now, or receive your preview when you place your first order for assessments.