History of Insight Assessment
Insight Assessment was established as The California Academic Press in 1986 by Dr. Peter A. Facione, a leading figure in the quest to demonstrate empirically that a consensus understanding of critical thinking could be attained and that the core cognitive skills and centrally important dispositional habits of mind of critical thinking could be learned, taught, and assessed.
In 1990 The California Academic Press published its first reasoning skills test, and, in 1992, its first critical thinking disposition inventory. Since that time research has continued on the development of a broader array of reasoning assessment tools and on expanding what is known about critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making. The focus of this research has been on integrating humanistic and scientific approaches with the expressed purpose of achieving practical gains. The aim is to assist people in becoming better thinkers by knowing how thinking works, how improvements in thinking can be learned, how mistakes in thinking can be identified and avoided, and how one can use meta-cognition as well as objective assessment information to improve one's own thinking.
- In 1992 Dr. Facione published his influential essay about the meaning and importance of critical thinking, Critical Thinking: What It Is and Why It Counts.
- In the 1990s the core CCTST and CCTDI were adopted by thousands of customers domestically and around the world driving the company to focus on quality culturally accurate translations.
- In 2003, Insight Assessment was created as a wholly owned subsidiary of the California Academic Press to distribute industry specific tools to businesses, universities, schools and government agencies to better serve a growing customer base.
- In 2012, Insight Assessment launched the INSIGHT series, specifically calibrated for corporate environments.
- In order to better serve our customers, we moved our headquarters to larger offices in San Jose, California in 2013.
Today our products are used to help our clients in 60+ countries in 20+ languages to improve thinking, decision making and reasoning within their institutions and corporations.
First as The California Academic Press and now as Insight Assessment, we proudly offer the world class instruments to measure those core critical thinking skills and habits of mind essential for reflective human problem solving and thoughtful, fair-minded decision making. In English and in authorized translations, these high quality instruments are in use with professionals, new hires, candidates, and students at every educational level by businesses, universities, schools, and government agencies.